Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do I need to make this work?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ingeborgdot 
#1 ·
What type of video card or whatever would anyone recommend for this setting. I have a guy that wants to hook up his computer to his standard monitor but also at times wants it to be able to be able to watch it on his big tv. The tv has a vga in plus hdmi, and component. He also has a smaller tv that is already wired with hdmi to come from the computer.
So in a nut shell he wants the regular monitor which will be DVI, the small tv that has hdmi and the large tv I am not sure what to run, whether it be vga, hdmi, or component. I like the idea of another hdmi because it runs audio too where vga only runs video and would need another audio cable. Component would be the same issue. I would also like to use cat 5e to run any of this. Is that possible?
So, if this makes sense to anyone, what equipment would I need to make this possible? What do I need for a video card or cards? What would I need to make the cat 5 work? Thanks.

#2 ·
I would suggest using HDMI when using a TV as a computer screen. Now as far as what video card you will need, I'm sure there are a few options out there.

Just for clarification, below is a list of what I am assuming you want connected to your computer:
- DVI monitor
- HDMI TV #1
- HDMI TV #2

This would require a single video card with these three ports available, or multiple video cards installed on your motherboard.

And about the CAT5 request...I'm not exactly sure why you want to run CAT5 to a TV? :confused:

#3 ·
What I mean by that is running hdmi over the cat5 which makes it easier to run in the tight spaces. I am not running cat5 literally but running hdmi.

#4 ·
HDMI is also limited in length... running over Cat5 will let you go a lot farther.

The catch is, HDMI-over-UTP extenders (and DVI-over-UTP extenders) tend to be a little pricey... here's one that works up to 30m, runs CDN$60: http://a-power.com/product-17545-808-1

It sounds like the computer already has one HDMI output, so you could add another adapter, or you could add an HDMI splitter, like these: http://a-power.com/home-815

#5 ·
If I would like 2 hdmi ports would it be best to get 2 cards? Why I am asking that is that converting dvi to hdmi will only get video and won't get sound. That way 2 cards, 2 hdmi both with sound.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Okay, I have the computer finished. I have an XFX 5830 plus an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX motherboard with HDMI onboard. I have several problems with what I want to do. I can get the HDMI on the 5830 to be recognized and the DVI but when I go into duplicate it drops the resolution on the dvi monitor to lower than the recommended 1920 x 1200 to 1360 x 768 or something like that on both. I don't want to have my main monitor that low if I don't have to. What do I have to do to fix that?
The other problem is that I can't get my CCC to recognize my onboard HDMI, what am I doing wrong?

#8 ·
Okay, I think I found out about the dual mode and both having to be the same and if one is lower res than the other that is what they both will be. Sucks, but it is what it is. I still have not been able to get my onboard hdmi to be recognized. Anyone???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.