1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What do I need to set up a home network for 2 PCs?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mazz, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazz

Mazz Thread Starter

Hi all, :)

I have 2 PCs at home and would like to know what hardware I would need to network them so they can share files and my cable internet connection.

I'm a networking newbie and am thoroughly confused with the huge dizzling array of router products and different hardware requirements. I really hate to end up buying a bunch of hardware that are not compatible or not necessary at all. :confused: Hope I can get some pointers here.

I compared some firewalled routers and I am planning to buy a Netgear MR814 802.11b Wireless 4-Port Cable/DSL Router from Amazon.com website as they seem to have the best deal (29.94 after rebate) + free shipping. Here are my questions -

Questions with "CARDS" -
    -I'm wondering if I also need to buy a network card (are they the same thing as "PC cards"?) for each of my computer?
    -Could my newer computer already have one that came with my computer package? If I need 2 network cards, what is the best brand/model you'd recommend? I hope to get them in the same order as well.

Questions with "WIRELESS ADAPTOR"
    -one of the product specifications listed for Netgear's router is "Ethernet adapter and cable OR 2.4 GHz Wireless adapter for each computer"
    -I think my computer has an ethernet card, do I still need to buy an "Ethernet adapter and cale, or a wireless adapter" for each PC?
    If yes, could you please recommend a good one for me?
    If I need 2 wireless (pricey?) adapters for the Netgear MR814 wireless router, would I be better off just buying a wired router?

Is there anything else beside the router I need to buy to get the home networking going? Please give me some pointers so hopefully I can put get everything I need into the same order before the sale deal expires :p

My newer PC is 1.5 yr old Pentium 3 running on WinXP (whole package bought from BestBuy).
    My older one is about 3 yr old Pentium I running on Win2000.
    I don't play PC games but I do a lot of web browsing and P2P sharing and hope that I can do more with 2 PCs instead of just 1 now.

They sit in the same room at closed distance but might be in seperate rooms in a near future after moving into a house.

Please let me know if you need anymore info.
    Thank you kindly in advance for your help.

Mazz

2. dai

dai

you just need a nic card(ethernet) in each computer and then connect to the router with straight through patch cables and set your router up for the computers to see each other

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice