what do i need?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

holy_saiyan1

I have a new scanner, but there's nowhere to plug it into the back of my computer. What do I need to get so that I can use it?

If its a USB scanner then get a USB PCI card if you have none of these slots on either the back or front of your PC.

holy_saiyan1

yeah it is a USB... do i need a USB hub? i dont have the card that came with it, just the software and and the scanner so i'm kinda screwed in that respect. any ideas how much it'll cost/where can i get whatever it is i need?

No, not a USB hub, it's a USB PCI card, such as the ones listed here. It looks like they start at about $10 (with out shipping).

The cards are all much the same, you can get them with 2,3 or 4 USB connectors.

usb pci card is an example of the card. Go for a USB 2.0 one which is backward compatible with USB1.1.

And no the holes are not different.

dustyjay

Jay
AMD is the processor in it. do you know what the speed is and who made the motherboard. how much ram what kind of video. Or is it a computer in a box deal like Emachines or something like that?

holy_saiyan1

this is what SETI Spy said (couldn't find any other place that would tell me all that):

CPU type: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
CPU speed: 348 MHz (varies, 345-355 MHz don't know why :confused: )
L1 cache: 64 KB (32 KB code + 32 KB data)
L2 cache: unknown, possibly on motherboard.

my computer's reconditioned (previously owned) so i don't know if it was an Emachines dealy or what

don't suppose you're in the [email protected] program are you? i have a weird question about something that started happening to my team's WU/day stats

dustyjay

Jay
Oh I didnt know we were talking about a dinosaur computer. Windows 98 will support USB. You can pick up a 2 or 4 port usb pci card for just a few bucks. 20 or so. the only ting is you need to make sure you have an open pci slot first. Not the long black one on the bery end that is an ISA slot. PCI slots are all white and are shorter.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online