1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What do you do with a swollen can?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by pronute, Apr 12, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. pronute

pronute Thread Starter

About three days ago I reached into my cupboard for some soup or something I glanced at the top and seen a date March, 2000! Thought to my self oh yeah those cans my mom gave me. My mom gave me these cans a few years ago and I stuck in the cupboard and forgot about them until three days ago, I thought I'll get around to sorting them out later, and today is the day. Well I not only found some old stuff to get rid of, I also found a can of pineapples from June 1999 and it's swollen. So my question is what's the best way to handle this can? I’m afraid that if I pierce the can with a can opener that it may explode! :eek:

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I'd throw it away whole, or take it out side and puncture it. I doubt it will explode, but it may spray a toxic stream! :D

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Throw it away! Don't try to open it, you'll be sorry ;)

4. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

I agree with Acacandy.... it'll be stinky, stinky, stinky.... :p

5. oldie

oldie

Dis iz a set up - no :eek:

6. pronute

pronute Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply:)

I would just toss it, however I don't want it to hurt anyone (Trash man etc.). Any one know how to safely dispose of this potential hand grenade. I forgot to mention that the crimp seals at the top and bottom are at the point of failure.

7. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    Wrap it in bubble wrap?

8. SyscoKid

SyscoKid

OK, drive to the coast, rent a boat, go out a ways, and drop it in the ocean. It'll sink and if you're out far enough, the pressure will cause it to burst, otherwise, it'll eventually rust enough so that it'll rust through and burst.

Of course, if it's full of gas it might float, so tie a rock to it, just to be sure. (y) :)

9. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi pronute,

Don't worry too much about the can being a grenade, the pressure inside is mostly hydraulic. Any small leakage will probably release the pressure. The real danger is in the contents. Bacterial growth has probably created a poisonus, toxic mixture. Don't open it. Dispose of it in the trash. You might even wrap the can in several plastic bags so that any leakage is contained on it's way to the trash incinerator. If your community buries its trash and garbage without treatment.......well....I wouldn't drink the water if the towns water wells are near the dump....seriously :D.... what people throw away is..... amazing :(

Jack

10. ~Candy~

It's not going to hurt anyone in the trash, just stick it in the bottom. The only thing that will really happen if you try to use a can opener to open it, it will spray all over the place.......trust me ;) Don't test that theory in the kitchen :eek: Can we say been there, done that? :eek: :D

11. Stoner

Stoner Banned

AC

Mexican beer?? :D

12. ~Candy~

Bob, I suggest also, you get married right away. The wife will know how to handle these bizarre situations :D :D

13. ~Candy~

More like Mexican Tequilla :eek:

:D

14. AlbertB

AlbertB

Sysco, pressure increases as you go down in the sea. That can could not burst through imnmersion as the pressure on it is increasingly preventing it from doing so, and it can't implode as the contents are mostly solid and liquid with a very small gas space.

The answer is simply to take the can outside on the dirt, throw a rag over it, and punch a long nail through both the rag and can with a hammer. A little tap should do. The rag will prevent any spray and the pressure will be released in at most a couple of seconds. Believe me there are many millions of worse things already living in the soil all around us, a little bacterial growth from rotten food should not worry you if you are careful. How dangerous do you think it would be to simply leave the contents outside in a saucer to rot?

Wash your hands afterwards of course! ;)

15. izme

izme

whew :p

I thought this was a thread about Oprah and proper diet :eek: :D

><">

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice