1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Ca33, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ca33

Ca33 Thread Starter

Computer: Sony Vaio Windows XP

Hi,
    I am a student and I need to have a software that lets me type essays, use MLA format and type out and print all kinds of documents for school. The software also has to have the capability to save my work on a floppy disk(diskette). My teachers recommend Corel WordPerfect 7.0 and Microsoft Word, but I'm not sure about which software would be better for my needs. If anybody has used these softwares, which one do you recommend or is there any other type of software that would work? Lastly, what are simple steps to saving typed documents onto floppy disks?

2. Sponsor

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Ca33,

Since you are a student, and most students are on a budget, here is a freeware Word Processor: http://www.openoffice.org that a lot of people use.

I don't personally use it, so you'll have to determine if it meets your needs with regard to the MLA format?

I do use MS Office/MS Word 2000 version (paid) and know that Corel WordPerfect 7.0 is a competitor of Microsoft Word.

Simple step to get documents onto/off floppy (limit 1.44MB) is to drag and drop or use copy after verifying you have a formatted floppy and enough space on it to hold your docs.

Good luck,

-- Tom

5. Ca33

Ca33 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help:)
    I tried downloading OpenOffice but my computer keep claiming that it has not enough memory for it to download. I used Disk Cleanup and Add/Remove programs and there is still not enough memory. Are there any other ways to gain memory? Can you buy memory for a computer?

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Ca33,

Shutdown most all of your programs you have running that are taking up RAM memory. Leave running your AV, firewall, and ISP connection to the Internet software. You must have at least 200MB of disk space to do the installation after you have succeeded in downloading it. I suspect that the memory complaints are more about RAM available than disk space, but you will need the minimum disk space requirement.

Download Everest Home (freeware) from: http://www.lavalys.com in order to find out what type of RAM memory/how much you have, and everything you ever wanted to know about your hardware. If you are going to buy more RAM, you should match it to the type/speed you already have installed.

Note: The Windows download size is 76 MB, which when you install it will expand to the required 200 MB.

System Requirements for OpenOffice.org 2.0
    Microsoft Windows

* Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows XP, Windows 2003
    * 128 Mbytes RAM
    * 200 Mbytes available disk space
    * 800 x 600 or higher resolution with at least 256 colors

Java

The minimum JDK/JRE version required to use OpenOffice.org features that require java is JDK/JRE version 1.3.1.

To use the XSLT filters with JDK 1.3.1 you should download the files xalan.jar and xml-apis.jar from Xalan website and crimson.jar from Crimson website. The files also need to be added to the OpenOffice.org classpath, this can be accomplished with Tools->options->OpenOffice.org->Security

For full functionality, jdk/jre 1.4.0_02 or newer or jdk/jre 1.4.1_01 or newer is required
    For accessibility:
    All platforms: Java runtime environment 1.4.0_02 / 1.4.1_01 or newer

-- Tom

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

DL EasyCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

Use the clear files and Unnecessary files buttons - I do not recommend
    using the Duplicates files button as many dupes are there on purpose.

In the unnecessary button I check the top 4 entries
    =================

What is the make model of your PC

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I will point out that OpenOffice does not handle Wordperfect documents. This may or may not be an issue, since the teachers recommended WP. If there is no compelling need to handle Wordperfect files, then I agree that Open Office is a very good choice. I use it here most of the time, but I also have and use Wordperfect 8 and 11, Word 97 and 2003, and Lotus Wordpro.

Word will handle Wordperfect files and Wordperfect will handle Word files, fairly transparently.

Should it turn out to be important to handle Wodrperfect files, I would recommend Wordperfect 8 (not 7) as a good choice. This product is stable and is still easy to find in the marketplace. Also, it is quite inexpensive. Later versions of Wordperfect have stability problems, at least on my systems.

9. Flags

Flags

CA33: You said that your computer says there is not enough memory to download OO.
    So you went to Control Panel and I presume you removed some extra programs you have.
    That is not going to give you more memory. I think your PC said you don't have enough Disk Space. If I'm wrong tell me to butt out.
    I suspect that your Hard Drive is jammed to the hilt with Music, Photos, etc.
    If you want to regain some DISK space you are going to have to remove all the clutter you have on your hard drive.
    A fairly new Sony Viao should have plenty of RAM (memory) to handle anything you throw at it, but your HDD has only so much space and when it fills up, you have 2 choices. A 2nd or larger HDD, or unload the one you have.
    If I'm wrong, I apologize for butting in, but this is the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your post.

10. Ca33

Ca33 Thread Starter

Yes, Flags, you are right. It did say that I did not have enough disk space and my computer is definetely FULL of many photos and music folders. I will try to remove most of the pictures and music that I don't need. And if I still don't have enough disk space, I will try to purchase an extra HDD since music and photos are mostly used on my computer. Thanks for all the help(to everyone:))
    And if anyone has anymore suggestions or advice, please post:D

11. asdfqwerty

asdfqwerty

Openoffice. Free and fully functional.

12. Ca33

Ca33 Thread Starter

I deleted all the pictures and music files I didn't need/use and I gained enough disk space to download OpenOffice. It works like a charm:)
    Thank you all for the help:D

13. Flags

Flags

CA33: If I were you, I'd burn most of your music to a disk. You are going to need some extra space on your drive for the work you are supposed to be doing in school.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!