1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What do you think about this article?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by ddpromo1, Sep 7, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. ddpromo1

ddpromo1 Thread Starter

2. K-Man

K-Man

This thread is a little old, but I couldn't resist a reply...

"Alexa" is something I've had an issue with. Spybot S & D considers the Alexa Related toolbar to be spyware! If I'm understanding this correctly; Alexa is a sort of re-routing software, associated with Microsoft. I have it on my computer, but I NEVER use it.

Spybot says it can replace it with some sort of Google function bar, but I've never been desperate enough about it to let Spybot fidget with my computers guts like that. I never use any kind of "links" like this, because I don't like not knowing where it might send me!

As far as the article goes, I don't know if it's true or not. You know the saying though: another word for statistics, is lies! Statistics can be manipulated so easily. I remember a funny story about statistics...

There was once a poll taken in London, which asked each person how often they showered or bathed. Lo and behold: the statistics showed that everyone in London bathed every day! :rolleyes:

Many companies manipulate statistics to some extent. I don't think it's always intended as total deception, but... you know...

3. ddpromo1

ddpromo1 Thread Starter

Hey K-man,

Yeah, I looked at little clsoer "between the lines" and found out that they're taking data from people that have Alexa tool bar on their browser, not directly from major search engine searches. This led me to believe that their results are off. Who knows how much but I would guess it a large percentage.

I don't have an Alexa tool bar nor do I want one, so I found that data interesting but not neccessary accurate. I'll at least give them this much; they are the only company I found that carried web stats from targeted sites (well besides yahoo buzz).

Thanks!

4. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

I notice each time I do a repair on my IE it downloads Alexa to me! :rolleyes: Bye bye through SpyBot though! :)

5. K-Man

K-Man

Hey Angelize56...

I've been wanting to get rid of that "Alexa" thing ever since I got Spybot and AdAware. Does this mean that Spybot can fix this problem, without any harmful effects on my system? If so; I'll be bidding Alexa a not so fond farewell myself!

Tell me it's true, and I might just believe you ARE an angel! ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice