1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what do you think is the best computer and why!

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by adambailey, Sep 18, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adambailey

adambailey Guest Thread Starter

what do you think is the best computer and why!

2. adambailey

adambailey Guest Thread Starter

ahhhahahahahha

3. Gibble

Gibble

Building it yourself.

Buy the parts, piece it together, get what you need and want...and cheaper :)

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

Agree-custom build if you know what you're doing. However, for a newbie who does not know much about computers, I would recommend Dell--good customer service and they give you the operating system CD (many other companies give you some BS restore disc).

5. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I agree mostly with this but don't consider Dell if you ever want to do a hardware upgrade. Propietary hardware is a curse!

6. Mowergun

Mowergun Guest Thread Starter

I would recommend Dell also. With respect to the proprietary hardware, just whip out your credit card, buy the best, most powerful, newest, top of the line stuff Dell has to offer,and buy the maximum warranty, and you shouldn't need to worry about upgrading for several years. It's only money.

I'm a satisfied Dell owner,

Mowergun

7. clskrk

clskrk

Dell. No Question. I put in a secondary H/D, (same size as primary,) And paid less for it than I would have at any other place around here at the time. I'll be getting more memory here soon, and it's almost all plug & play. :) :)

8. TypeSK

TypeSK

well, thats kinda out of the question. if he doesnt know anything to build it himself, why would the proprietary hardware make a difference, considering he wont know anything to upgrade in the first place!

anyone who can upgrade should have an idea how to build it himself ... and while dell will have proprietary hardware problems, other companies, just dont build them well, load the comp with proprietary software that you cant get off, so that will make it to where you wouldnt want to upgrade the computer, cuz ur just so fed up with it in the first place!

and my opinion, build it yourself, or dell ... dell has best support of all ... more expensive, but worth it... but still build it yourself, or pay someone to do it for you!

9. Gibble

Gibble

The best bet if you want support, a custom system, and non proprietary parts or software is to go to a local computer shop, and talk to their staff.

I'm not talking about a best buy, or future shop, or something like that. I'm talking a small computer only store :)

10. TypeSK

TypeSK

compusa sucks for their **** ... bestbuy is DECENT, for the mass electronics shops ... small computer stores are best bet..even though sometimes i find them a lil more expensive ...

11. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Well, for some people they start out as a newbie and learn quickly. Then when they want to get into upgrading they find out their old box isn't worth tinkering with- thats the problem I had. Now I have a custom built tower that is easily upgraded.
    I think my girlfriend would strongly disagree with this. She has had poor tech support from Dell for her computer.

12. deh

deh

http://www.alienware.com/

Check out the gaming systems.

Area-51 Extreme
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB
    1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
    120GB Seagate Barracuda 8MB Cache
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2

13. Gibble

Gibble

If you were in MB, I could tell you the best two places to go, it's nearly impossible to beat their prices, but...your a tad far away.

14. deh

deh

Dell tech support is OK. Everyone seems to have different experience.
    Bottom line: The techs you initially call are going to read off the ultimate flow chart that everyone else has. ;)

Bottom line though Dell is a decent system and from personal experience they do honor thier warranties. They will send a tech guy right to your home within a few days if you have at home service.

15. hotskates

hotskates

THough many would disagree my Hewlett Packard 6645c has worked awesome for 3 years now. I bought it even though my cousin advised me not to and he works at HP.

My new laptop is a dell and its very good too but a bit slow and I understand that is common for dell laptops. I haven't had it long enough to do any serious tweaking to speed things up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice