1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What do you think of these specs(laptop)?/ Guess the price!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gaiety, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gaiety

Gaiety Thread Starter

PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™ i7 2760QM 2.4GHz (3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    WIRELESS CARDS - Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video
    MEMORY - 6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz
    VIDEO CARD - 3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology
    HARD DRIVE - 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE - 8x SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Slot Load Optical Drive
    SOUND OPTIONS - Soundblaster® X-Fi™ Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
    BLUETOOTH - Internal Bluetooth 3.0

So, these are the specs of the laptop I'm considering buying. I want to know what you guys think of it, and what do you think it costs? :) Also, is there anything else you would consider for a higher end laptop for gaming?

2. Gaiety

Gaiety Thread Starter

I didn't mean to post it in "Tech-Related News". :( Sorry, could somebody move this for me?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If I were you, ( I am not a gamer) I would be looking at one of the Alienware laptops, They are designed as Gaming Laptops. They cost more but You get more with them.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Just my personal opinion but if you don't need it to be portable I reckon you could get a better Desktop for less money.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I whole heartedly agree with managed. A well planned desktop would be much better than a laptop for gaming. Of course it also depends on the intensity of the gaming you plan. If you are not talking about the newest games played at max settings you can go with lower spec'd components providing you use quality components. Such as a motherboard, I would not choose an ECS motherboard for any reason let alone gaming, I would recommend a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard for any intended use though including gaming.

6. Gaiety

Gaiety Thread Starter

@dustjay It is an Alienware laptop! :) It gives you some options to customize the different parts though, so I wanted people's opinion on the stuff I chose.

@managed We already have one Desktop in my house, and I have nowhere to hook up another one. I already have a laptop, but it's not the greatest, so I've been looking to get a better one. I have the money to spend, so I've been looking for a higher end one(one I can use for my gaming).

@dustjay For gaming, I mean playing games such as Skyrim on high(or max) settings without any trouble.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you have an unlimited budget, what advice are you looking for?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As I said, I am not a gamer. Except the type you play on Pogo, or Hidden Object games. if you can post a link to the particular laptop from Alienware it would be helpful. As far as a guess at the price (without some special discount I would guess about $1300 - $1400 (USD)

9. Gaiety

Gaiety Thread Starter

@DoubleHelix I don't have an unlimited budget. I just mean I'm willing to spend up to around $2,000 to get a nice laptop. The cost of this laptop would be $1600(USD). I am wondering if there is anything better I can get for what I want, while keeping in my price range. Saying "have the money to spend" probably wasn't the best way to put it, sorry. :/

@dustyjay http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m14x/pd.aspx That is what I started with, but I changed some of the parts.(since it allows you to do so)

10. Gaiety

Gaiety Thread Starter

PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™ i7 2760QM 2.4GHz (3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
    MEMORY - 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS)
    VIDEO CARD - 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6870M
    HARD DRIVE - 1 TB RAID 0 (2x 500GB) 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    LCD PANEL - 17.3-inch WideFHD 1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED
    WIRELESS CARD - Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE - Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
    SOUND OPTIONS - Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

The screen on the other one was 14", where as this one is 17", but the price also goes from $1600 to $2000(USD) Is there much difference in the parts though? For example, is it worth an extra 400$ for what you are getting in difference.
    ^Is that an easier question to answer?

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A 17.3 in monitor would be easier on the eyes, but would sacafice a little battery life. To answer the "is it worth it?" question would be a personal choice question. Would it be worth it to me? No. Would it be worth it to you? you would have to answer this, how much would you miss that $400 dollars and how good is your eye sight?

12. Gaiety

Gaiety Thread Starter

@dustyjay It would be worth it to me for the larger screen, but is there much difference in the specs? It wouldn't be worth it to me if the parts aren't as good. For example(I understand most of it), I don't know what the difference between the video cards is, at all.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    TBH my graphics needs are not as high end as those of a gamer. I have Radeon 3450HD in this computer. Though I may be wrong, I would chose an AMD Video card over an nVidia card though. I have never had any problems with ATI/AMD video cards, though I have with nVidia in the past. I do understand that nVidia cards have gotten better though and make some fine cards.

14. Gaiety

Gaiety Thread Starter

@dustyjay Currently I am using a Nvidia card on my laptop, and I actually have had problems with it over the last couple years... so I have to agree with you there. Although, I have never had a AMD video card.

15. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

The only accessory I would really suggest for an Alienware laptop is a forklift in case you ever want to move it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice