1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What do you think of this compaq

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryan711, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryan711

ryan711 Thread Starter

Here is my new computer. I went with compaq because they have this nice deal 12 months no payments/inerest. I can save up the money for it during the 12 months, since I didn't have it now.
    here is the link http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...BV_EngineID=cceladcmhhjilgicfngcfkmdflldfgg.0

It comes out to 2000$ and here are the specs
    Standard atx case/psu (handy when in upgrading, very rare on these type of comps.)
    400watt psu
    athlon 64 3400
    1gb pc 3200 ram
    xp pro
    320gb hdd
    48x cdrw
    8x +dual-layer dvd burner(the only thing I don't like about this comp only+r/rw)
    ati 9800pro 256
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS platinum
    Klipsch ProMedia Ultra THX Certified 5.1
    ms works suit 2004
    Norton Antivirus 2004

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Oh boy......you probably aren't going to like what you'll hear here :eek:

My opinion, run, run, very fast and very far from a Compcrap....errrr, I mean, Compaq :D

3. ryan711

ryan711 Thread Starter

what exactly is bad about them, I have a dell right now, its about 2 years old. It has had countless problems. I also have an hp thats about 4 years old. Hp and compaq are one in the same. Anyway I have had no problems with it....ever. No hardware problems whatsoever. The only thing I do not like is that they put alot of bloatware on there, but what major manufacurer doesen't. I'm not saying it's the best, but imo it's the best of the major ones such as gateway dell etc etc. If I had the money I would build one myself, but I don't and I don't want to wait another year to play all of these good games coming out. I appreciate you trying to help me none the less.

4. ~Candy~

For $2000 you could build one heck of a system.

Hp and Compaq were NOT one in the same 4 years ago. I'd take an HP over Compaq any day of the week.

I've worked on way too many Compaqs so I'm pretty biased there.

5. brite750

brite750

the link doesn't work, it must based on your pcz cookies or something. what model are you getting? $2000, that's a lot, that year goes by pretty fast.

6. brite750

brite750

Well the one good thing that Compaq is doing is using a builders case if it's the one with the Coolermaster wave case, what mobo/ram are they using, what psu, drives etc., they should be giving you one highend board for that kind of $cratch.

7. pronute

pronute

$2000 a lot for a Compact(n) did you at least get a 19" LCD monitor with it then that would put it closer to $1750:eek:
    but seriously good luck with your new system.
    PS as soon as the consumer version of XP64 is available I would get it because your only going to use half the potential of your 64 bit processor with XP pro.

8. ryan711

ryan711 Thread Starter

acually if you put together the system with moslty oem parts at newegg it comes out to about 1900$ including norton av and ms suite, not to bad. I am getting the ViewSonic P95F+B from newegg. BTW the model is the SA4000Z, its not the one with the coolermaster case.

9. ~Candy~

Norton Anti Virus can be had for free after rebate at CompUSA or one of the Office stores.

10. ~Candy~

So, the Compaq computer doesn't even come with a monitor? :eek:

11. ryan711

ryan711 Thread Starter

yea but they only have 17''

12. pronute

pronute

your right over $1800 at newegg, however if you take off the speakers and sound card your down to $1375, which is still high for a Compaq, they buy at volume discount prices, and at new egg it's all retail.
    Klipsch ProMedia ultra 5.1 Personal Audio System $344
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350" $170
    for a computer it's a waste of money to buy such an expensive sound system.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice