1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Do You Think Of This?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Frank4d, Oct 11, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I checked my email when I got home yesterday and found an email from my 17 year-old son. It was a flight itinerary showing him flying from L.A. on Friday @ 5:50 pm to Texas, and flying back on Monday @ 7:30 PM. How considerate.

I don't have a problem with him saving his Taco Bell earnings to visit his girlfriend in Texas... it is his money. Except he probably left his car in a parking lot at LAX and will have to pay ransom to get it back. I hope he has money left over.

But what really pisses me off is that he didn't bother to tell me, or his Mom, in advance! Probably because we would not approve of him ditching school on Monday when he is already short of graduating HS in June by 15 credits.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    boys will be boys... Well at least he didn't email you... then i would be pissed. But I can't blame an old kid for going. If he is living with you though, I would set some ground rules about leaving like that.

when I parked in the econ lot, i paid $7 per day for 5 days... but that's in Richmond (VA). I can't imagine what LAX would be.

3. buffoon

buffoon

Well he's obvioulsy learned the powers of "fait accomplis". Make decisions independently without conducting opinion polls, then let others handle it after the fact. Bodes well for his future. (only "half" joking);)(y)

4. twinofangelize56

twinofangelize56

Up his rent! If he thinks his home is a motel/hotel and he can check in/out when he wants to, treat him as such. He'll have less money to 'travel'.

Plus... isn't 15 credits like almost a year? Maybe a boot up the rear too would help.

Car? Take it away and put it in the garage until his grades improve. So what if he paid for it. He's still a minor. You're still in charge. Doesn't matter if he pays the insurance and gas. Or does he?

And above all else remind him who's in charge for now. Don't forget to tell him you love him and give him a hug and that it's for his own good. 17 year olds love to hear that stuff!

Don't worry though. He'll be 25 before you know it and it will all be behind you!

:D

5. iltos

iltos

given the flippancy of his attitude that you've portrayed, it might be better if he didn't....
    life has a way of bashing us over the head with its truths.....for some teenagers -especially those who feel they've got it all figured out- it is the only teacher left

6. mom2inky

mom2inky

take yourself out of the situation. keep loving, keep loving, keep loving. funny thought, have mom make his favorite cookies..37 year old daughter and i have been major estranged for 2+ years. since i have been in childship with christ, i have taken my self out of the situation; how she treats me is her problem, not mine. all this time have sent her funny notes, cards, left short funny and loving messages on her phone, etc. being in gods care and praying that he turns her life around, my prayers have been answered. though only sporadic, she is calling, good calls, we laugh, etc. will continue as is and i believe one day we will be close again. my prayers are with you!!

7. Frank4d

He did email me... I read it after he was gone. He is going to have to write his own "sick" note to get back into school tomorrow (and the school has my signature on file since the last time he forged a sick note).

8. Frank4d

Darn! Turns out he left his car at a friends house down the street. I was so hoping he would be stranded in a parking lot at LAX with no money to get his car back.

Kind of like when I was 18 and decided to go from Indiana to Florida without telling my parents. I called my dad from Florida and asked for money to get home and he told me to get screwed. :D (Of course I can't tell my son that happend).

9. Frank4d

I won't charge him rent as long as he remains in school full-time, but I may kick him out on the street if he doesn't.

He had a school counselor meeting last week to discuss his options for graduating on time (15 credits is a whole semester). He was pissed because I didn't go. I told him he got his self into this situation by not doing homework, not turning in assignments and failing tests and I wasn't going to miss 3 hours pay because of it.

He wants to be a NAVY fighter pilot. Do you want him flying a $30 million jet paid for with your tax dollars? :eek:

10. buffoon

buffoon

There you go then. There was never as bad a youth as today's (some old Roman already said, think it was Cato). Never ending story. Reminds me of this (not inferring that it would apply to you):
    "When I was 18 I thought my dad was a total imbecile.
    When I was 26 I was astonished at the advancement he'd made in just 8 years.";) Forgot where I read that so can't quote the source.

I'd lay money that he will be fliying a navy jet. If not, he'll be doing something else worthwhile when he's grown. Don't worry(y):)

11. twinofangelize56

twinofangelize56

I never charged my kids rent either. They, however, made sure I knew where they were and with whom, and when they would be in and out. They rarely ventured from this routine of respect.

I took a little different route with my son when he was in high school. He started goofing off in classes and was risking losing the credit(s). We took privileges away... he didn't care. Finally, I decided to get extremely involved with his school work and teachers. I was on top of things day and night with him for a few months during his senior year. He turned 18 in December during that school year, so he thought that was a gateway to doing whatever he wanted to! HA! He learned otherwise and with a strong hand, his father and I (mostly I) got him through it!

He was no dummy and did the work himself. He just didn't like some of this teachers; thought the work was useless; didn't quite comprehend that WE were not going to tolerate his not graduating. He caught on eventually! He did graduate with A's and B's and nothing less than a C+ that final year! He even was awarded a scholarship to college!

That worked with my kid.... it may not with yours. But you never know exactly what the kid will do until you try something! Good luck!

If your son does become a NAVY fighter pilot in the future, it would appear to me that he earned that spot! So yes! Yes I wouldn't mind paying taxes for a plane that your son might proudly fly one day! :D

12. techychick

techychick

Hi,

I too have a 17 yr old but mines a girl. Only thing I can say is at least your son works (as does my daughter) seems alot of teens these days think everything should be handed to them.
    But I do agree in that he should have at least gave you a heads up, you are still legally responsible for him.
    Mine wouldn't be able to do the same, she doesn't drive as of yet. And to my surprise is in no real hurry. She understands the expense that goes along with the huge responsibility. Luckily she is able to walk to and from work when the conditions allow.
    Did your son "forge" his sick note?

13. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

Well judging by what you just posted, I think he's a boy after his own dad's heart. :D

I'm not sure if you were joking about that part or not. If not, consider my experience. My dad told me stuff like that before I went out and did something stupid.

What? Were you waiting for a moral? There's no moral to this story, I'm just yappin' :p

So my dad told me a bunch of bad and stupid stuff he did when he was growing up. The result was that I learned from his mistakes ........ somewhat :D

My dad told me all the stories about how there were no motorcycle training courses when he was riding, how he used to pump up his tires so hard they were probably harder than the junky metal the bike was made of, how he used to ride with his headlight off because of the old European tradition of frugally conserving everything, including your headlight. And about how that led to a crash.

I learned from those mistakes. And made entirely different ones :D

I rode with my tires pumped to racing pressure. Sure, they go off quicker, but until then, the cops haven't got a snowflake's chance in hell of catching you :D

The riding with the headlight off and the resultant crash into an oncoming driver - I now flash my lights to make sure oncoming traffic sees me. So I'm safer in those conditions. And therefore less likely to get hurt by someone other than myself.

The lack of riding schools? i've got enough schooling on a bike that even the bike-mounted CHP probably couldn't catch me.

Should you give your kid an edge by telling him where you made your mistakes? Tough call. Whatever his goals are, it would make them easier to achieve. He might leave home for Texas.

A couple of things my dad told me about his past saved my life. Not because that was his intention, but because he likes talking to his kid and I like to listen to the old coot. And then when I find myself in a similar situation, I'm primed - my attention is keen for what to be on the lookout for. My dad has some really amazing stories. I have some really stupid ones. :eek: There are at least two of mine that I would not have lived through if it weren't for having heard his though.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice