1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What does a tea spill, computer damage and blank screens have in common?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tsuba, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsuba

tsuba Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Having a bit of a crisis here. Last night I had a drink spill into a well vented computer case causing it to power down. After panicly and quickly removing the cords and removing all hardware besides the cpu (which was missed and rather dry after the inspection) and the power source (which I figured was completely dead at that point and could be easily replaced). I took all the components out and left them to dry next to a fan the entire night after a quick wipe, worrying all the way.

So the early morning after I reinsert the gpu, ram and connect the cords and give it a go. To my surprise, it works. Power supply runs, moba isn't trashed and the gpu works (success confirmed by the screen lighting up and telling me to locate the hard drive that isn't plugged in). Obviously ecstatic about this, I plug in more things (hard drive, mouse, keyboard, internet) and I try again. It powers on but the screen no longer lights up so I can't confirm whether or not the computer can properly boot to desktop or the like and after removing the parts I get the same thing.

I've been trying to correct this, see if any damaged parts might be the cause of this. Replacing the gpu gives me the same thing and replacing cords and parts here and there to see if anything changes. Nothing so far and I'm running out of ideas. So I turn to you guys for ideas. What can I do? What might the problem be?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Remove everything, just the bare motherboard /cpu and the power supply. Boot and see what happens. You should get BIOS BEEP/ERROR codes for missing RAM. If not, it's a faulty MB or power supply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice