What does it mean?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

woodyg

I recently had my nephew install a new 120 gig hard drive. I ran the "Full Tests" at PC Pitstop and my report showed an"unusually low uncached speed" of 16Megabytes/sec which ois about half of what it should be. What could be wrong. He has since gone back to school out of town. Thank you

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It means the drive is probably running in PIO mode if I had to guess.

Open Device Manager and open IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. For your system, I suspect you should select Primary IDE channel Properties, Advanced. You should see a screen similar to this one. If current transfer mode isn't UltraDMA 5 or 6, I suspect something is amiss there. Let us know what you find.

Attachments

woodyg

I did what you asked and found "DMA,if available" for the primary IDE channel.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
OK, I guess the DMA mode isn't the problem. :) What make/model of hard drive is this?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I guess we need to know the make/model of the system and/or motherboard, because that drive shouldn't have an issue running at a faster speed.

woodyg

1. How do I get the info on the mobo
2. Is there another website like PC Pitstop that I could run another test. Like a second opinion?
3. Could there be a wrong steeing in the BIOS? I can get that as I looked at them when we installed the drive.
Really appreciate all of the help.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Try running a test with DiskSpeed32 and see what it reports for the speeds. For reference, here's a typical IDE drive on my system. You should be in that ballpark.

Attachments

woodyg

I am way out of my league with this program!! I can't figure out how to attach the graph to my post. It didn't look like yours. It was very wide.These are the numerical results.
Cylinders-14593
Heads-255
Sectors-63
Average access time-15.6ms
Read burst time-51.6mbps
Max speed-43074Kbytes
Min Speed-24947Kbytes
Minimum speed cul-5858
average speed 39065
Can you make anything of this?I didn't realize ti would take 57 minutes to run the test!!

crjdriver

Is anything else installed on the same ide channel as the hd?

To attach a screenshot; hit the print screen key on your keyboard. This copies the contents of the desktop to the clipboard. Now open an image editor like paint, irfanview, etc and past the image. Save it as a jpeg type file and you can attach it to your post. Note you may have to crop and or resize the image.

crjdriver

One more thought. Open the case and look at the cable that your drive is connected with. It should have color coded connectors ie blue to the motherboard, black to the master device and gray to the slave device. If you have a cable that uses all gray ends, we may have found your problem.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The speeds don't look that far out of line, depending on the exact model of disk. Sorry I didn't tell you to do the "quick" test, it only takes seconds. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online