1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Does My Mobo Support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hmoodie, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hmoodie

hmoodie Thread Starter

Hello guys, my younger brother got a computer a while ago its a Packard Bell iStart 2311, the thing is its starting to run really slowly as it only has 1gb ram with 256mb being used by the graphics card. The thing is I do not know if it supports 2gb in each slot or only 1gb.

I can get 2x2gb for a very good price but not sure if each slot takes 2gb.

The motherboard according the PB website is a MCP61PM-AM . Even if someone can tell me the real name of it or who manufactures it. I have tried google searches but came back with nothing but people wanting to overclock there systems.

All replies appreciated!

Thanks H

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you running Windows XP or Vista? If Vista then adding more RAM will help indeed.

Here are the specs for that board right from PB: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=spec_MCP61PM-AM&ppn=PB82113801

According to that it will support 1GB per slot for a total of 4GB.
    You then shoudl be able to add 2x 1GB sticks to the existing 2x512MB sticks I assume it comes with for a total of 3GB's of RAM is pretty much the maximum a 32 bit version of Windows will address.

3. hmoodie

hmoodie Thread Starter

Hello mate, you are a star thanks for that I couldn't find it anywhere. It is running Vista Home Premium and it is starting to run really slow.

Thanks alot for that!!!

4. hmoodie

hmoodie Thread Starter

Can anyone else recommend any other good upgrades??

Thanks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the system is used for gaming, you may want to upgrade the graphics. But 1GB of RAM with Vista isn't the best setup so adding more will definitely help.

6. replay

replay

make sure u get ddr2 800 memory (fastest)
    and then get yourself a decent pci-e video card, then u won't have to use the crappy onboard video

7. hmoodie

hmoodie Thread Starter

Do you guys know what graphics card is supported by the machine and what one would be best, the computers going to be used for online gaming and gaming in general?

I have never had AMD before and I am not sure of the compatible combinations?

As for memory would the Corsair XMS2 4gb 800mhz would be work ok?

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Thanks

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It doesn't really matter for the video card what CPU you have as long as its modern which it is.

The Radeon HD 4850 is a great new video card that will handle pretty mush any game out there.

9. hmoodie

hmoodie Thread Starter

Thanks alot for all your help Triple6, I will have a look at that card, do you think that the CPU is ok or should I look at upgrading it? I was thinking of going maybe AMD 5400+??

Once again thanks very much for your assistance!!!(y)

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'd have to make sure the computer would support any CPU you'd want to upgrade to. But for now I'd stick with the 4000+, it is that bad of a CPU.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice