1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What does NETBIOS (outgoing) mean?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Czub, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Czub

Czub Thread Starter

I keep getting warnings from my firewall about this. It will give me a source IP and and a destination IP. Is this some kind of probe into my computer? I get the warning about every 10 minutes. Is this something I should worry about? I have changed (I think I did, I can't remember, I know call me an idiot) my settings in my "Wireless network" firewall settings thay are set at:
    Netbios (outgoing) - connection out - deny tcp/udp
    Netbios (incoming)- connection in - deny tcp/udp
    Netbios (broadcast) - connection in - allow tcp/udp

The ports are always 137 and 138

Does anyone have the defualt settings for this. Trend-Micro pc-cillon internet security 2005. "wireless network" firewall settings. .........Thanks.

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    A lot of times, when you get the warning, it means the firewall is doing its job and alerting you, and, not letting anything get in there....Depending on the firewall you have, you can sometimes do a 'backtrace' and find out where it's coming from..

3. Czub

Czub Thread Starter

I found out the source IP is my wireless router configuration page, and the destination is the same IP number with the last three digits being different. I typed the destination IP in the IE address bar and got page not available. Any ideas?

4. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Do you think this is a security problem? Or, maybe a hardware problem?

5. Czub

Czub Thread Starter

I don't know. I'm wondering if it's my router trying to find the reciever card in my other computer..................Is it something I should worry about?

6. blubirdx

blubirdx

i think what your seeing is an ICMP broadcast. If your firewall is blocking them then you have nothing to worry about

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/337792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice