1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What does steam have against me?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ShenaniganS, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS Thread Starter

I have played the 1.6 version of CS and didnt like it that much. I uninstalled steam and it messed up my CS and HL. Well that done and over. I have heard that you can play both 1.5 and 1.6 with out making another HL folder. Is this true?

2. Kevbum522

Kevbum522

Yes... If you install steam, it doesn't actually do anything to your current 1.5 installation (assuming you have 1.5 installed before steam) It actually just copies the files and updates them, but under the steam directory. So you can still play either one without uninstalling steam. Just make sure you open 1.5 seperate from steam. Like, make sure your icon on your desktop to 1.5 still points to 1.5 and not to the steam directory

3. McTimson

McTimson

Well, when you install Steam, there is an option that enables you to keep your existing CS files intact, or overwrite them so they no longer work with 1.5. I think the default is to mess them up, so many people have had problems not being able to play 1.5 anymore. So make sure you check the right options when you install Steam.

Also, you could just install Steam, then install HL and CS after that. This way, you get your Steam, and your 1.5 CS files will be brand new.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice