What does the . do

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dingus

Hi folks.
This isn’t a problem as such but looking for a bit of info.
On another help site I saw, and the author advocated, a full stop being used before a directory entry.
For example
/.example/test
and not
/example/test
Does anyone know the significance of the full stop?

colinsp

Colin
You have your syntax wrong it should be ./example/test

The dot-slash, ./ , is a relative path to something in the current directory. The dot is the current directory and the slash is a path delimiter.

Dingus

Thanks Colin but it's definately as posted
Example from moderator
D:\wamp64\www\Photos\.well-known\acme-challenge
This is from certbot installation
I just don't have a clue why a 'dot'

managed

Allan
Have a look at the D Drive in File Explorer to see if there is a dot in that path.

Dingus

No Allan. No dot showing for that drive.
Seems like the experts are stumped too.

managed

Allan
Does the path exist just missing the dot ? If it does I think the 'mod' made a typo.

Dingus

Think you’ve hit it on the nail Colin.
The forum I’m dealing with is one that generates SSL (CA) certificates.
The Mod emphasised it should be used.
I couldn’t figure out why. Never seen it before.
Thanks again.

In Linux, (Unix), which includes Mac OS, a dot at the beginning of a file name creates a hidden file or directory which is normally hidden from the user's view. Used for system files etc.

managed

Allan
I knew that Linux and Mac OS use dots at the start of filenames to 'hide' the files but I never knew Windows also does it, we live and learn.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online