1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What does this error message mean? Need Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sue C, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

"Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller
    Dell wireless WLAN card wireless network controller has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. blah blah blah Please tell Microsoft about this problem."

I tried clicking on Don't Send. I get the message again. I tried clicking on Send Error Report. I get the message again. I tried clicking on Debug. I get the message again. I shut the laptop down and restart it and the message is always there. As soon as I click on one of the choices (Don't Send, etc.), the message immediately pops back up.

What does this message mean? Is this something inside the laptop that needs replacing? What can I do to fix this problem?

It is a Dell laptop Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP. (it's my daughter's laptop and I just got wireless in the house and want to set her laptop up, but I can't with the laptop not working right now)

Thanks.

2. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

Does this laptop have an internal wireless controller?

Are you trying to connect with a PCMIA wireless card?

You may be experiencing a conflict in hardware configuration.

BTW, this response has been sent via laptop with wireless card.

let us know what system you are running.

3. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

I have to "DUH" myself for missing the system you have posted.

Anyway, your laptop may have come with an internal wireless bluetooth card.

are there any conflicts of hardware in device manager?

Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System
    In the System Properties window, click the Harware tab and the click the box titled Device Manager.
    Are there any Yellow exclamation marks on any of the devices?

4. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

Oh boy, you are talking to a computer illiterate person here. This is my daughter's laptop. It's nearly 3 years old. I don't know where the manual on it is, and I don't know what I did with the original paperwork (I know, that is dumb). I don't know what an internal wireless controller is, but I know it was set up for wireless because she was able to connect wirelessly at college (and sometimes was picking up our neighbor's internet--eeeek). I don't know what a PCMIA wireless card is and don't know how to find out. I don't know what you mean by what system is the laptop running. I know it's a Dell Inspiron 6000 using Windows XP.

Does this help at all? How can I find out the answers to these questions or can't I?

I appreciate you trying to help me.

5. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

Our threads just crossed. I typed mine and clicked post and then I saw your most recent one. I will go turn on her laptop and see. BRB.

6. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

There are no yellow exclamation marks. What can I try next?

7. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

Has Dell Helped you yet?

In my search, I found your post on Dell's forums.

Did updating the drivers help?

8. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

No, it did not help and I just posted that to them. I got the laptop to run a check disk (check system, whatever it's called) and it did say it fixed one thing. But after I restarted the computer (after waiting at least 5-10 minutes), I still get the same message.

Also, I cannot open McAfee to run a scan to see if there is a virus. My daughter tells me NOW this afternoon that the live updates expired a year ago and she forgot to tell me. I tried going to 2 free virus scanning sites and when I click on Scan Now, nothing happens and I get an error message on the bottom bar.

I think this is a hopeless case. I think there's too much wrong with her computer. I think I'm going to have to take it in to the Geek Squad, but I heard they remove programs/data and don't put it back?!?!

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

I'm leaving now for church but will try this either later tonight or tomorrow and will let you know what happens. THANKS!

11. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

Triple6 --- I tried updating the wireless driver software from the link you gave me. It downloaded but then when I double clicked on it on my desktop, I got the error message "Dell Wireless WLAN Card -- An installation support file could not be installed. Interface not registered." And so I was not able to install it.

I could not uninstall McAfee. The laptop would not let me. However, I WAS able to download the free version of AVG antivirus software and ran the scan. It found 13 Trojan horses and "deleted" them.

Can you give me any further help as to the error message above when trying to update the wireless driver software?

THANKS! I appreciate this so much.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

Triple6 -- I just tried installihg the wireless again and after I run the .exe, I get the same message: "An installation support file could not be installed. Interface not registered." Don't know what that means. How do I register the interface? What is the interface?

To start a new thread in the Malware Removal section, do I have to register on my daughter's laptop? I was going to log in on it with my username, but I can't remember my password and I can't find where I have it written down. Dumb me. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can just start a new thread there with your existing account. You can use either her laptop or your computer, but they'll have you download some files and upload some so it'd be easier to use her laptop. If you've forgotten the password you can use this form to retrieve it: http://forums.techguy.org/login.php?do=lostpw

15. Sue C

Sue C Thread Starter

HELP HELP HELP!!!!! I see my daughter has Ares on her desktop. I asked her what that was and she said a free music download. I believe it's illegal and I told her it MUST come off. I'll need to know how to do that.....plus MAYBE that is what is causing all these problems!! However, she said not to until she downloads the songs to her IPod, which I think is a mistake.

Anyway, question: because she is connected wireless (and I've had her connected wired to the router for a few days now), has my desktop or my personal laptop gotten infected because of her??? Please let me know. I'm scared, as there is bookkeeping on there for my husband's business and his website I maintain. I'm in a panick. ooooooo---that daughter of mine. I'm not too happy with her at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice