1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what does this error message mean?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by LJborn, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Just upgraded from Office Pro 2000 to Office Pro 2003. Now every single time that I go to open a document, I get this message: "The command can not be performed because a dialog box is open........" Then it takes basically forever for the file to open, if at all.... Have only tried Word. Afraid what will happen if I try anything else. Anybody know what this means? I have work to do!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

I tried to rename the file, but when I hit enter, I got an error message that either access was denied or that the file was in use. I tried disabling NAV within NIS, but still wouldn't let me rename the file....

Any ideas? I am using NIS 2006 and just installed Office Pro 2003 as an update from Office Pro 2000.....

Thanks!

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I can't suggest any way that I know for sure will correct the problem. We no longer use Symantec's AV products at work and I have an older version of NAV at home. Maybe somebody else on TSG knows for sure how to resolve the problem.

Have you tried running Norton live update? I'm thinking it may detect the newer version of Office and install the correct officeav.dll.

5. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

User should try renaming in 'safe mode' .

6. gurutech

gurutech

Open up word itself without a document. The first time you run it, it asks you for yours username and initials. Accept what it shows (or re-enter, it's up to you), then close word, then open your document.

7. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

I ran Live Update. That didn't make any difference.
    I opened Word without a document. No error message, but it also didn't ask me to sign in or anything. Then I opened a document from the right side of the blank word screen - shows recently opened documents. That document opened without an error.

Of course, then I closed word and went to My Documents and clicked on the very same document that I had just opened (from within Word), and got the same old error message.

I'm willing to try renaming in Safe Mode, but I can't remember how to get to Safe Mode.

Thanks guys,

8. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to mention that after each of the above maneuvers I went back into Windows Explorer and tried to rename the file, and Access was denied again....

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Tapping F8 key during bootup should get you there.

10. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Well, I was able to successfully rename the file in SafeMode. But that didn't fix the 'other' problem. Then I realized there was another disk in the Office Pro 2003 package - a disk for Office Pro 2003 SP2. With some major fiddling I think I installed that, and then also got some updating of the office pro 2003 itself. Now it seems that Word 2003 works. However I am getting these error messages with NAV that says something needs to be repaired but cannot be and that I have to reinstall NAV 2006.... Yet when I open the NIS center and click on NAV, it says everything is runnong okay.... Sigh.....

Anyway, thanks guys for all your help. I think it was a combination of everything that did the trick.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice