1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by starchild, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've been getting email from the swen virus since last Thurs, have been deleting it. Every few hours my yahoo mail gets over quota and stops it, till I delete it. I have OE set not to let in attachments, but the emails keep coming in. Averaging around 500 a day. I set message rules to auto delete mail with some of the words in the subject and from, but the emails seem to keep morphing into new (words).

Occasionally, one will come in that is "returned mail" and apparently the setting to not let in attachments doesn't work with this, and my AVG pops up a box saying it contains the swen virus, and do I want to get rid of it and I say (of course) OK

Yesterday and today, with AVG anti virus ran the full scan, which is set for every AM a red screen came up saying there was a virus, and I clicked NO not to open it. This is listed in the test results after it's done.

Yesterday's was in C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\OEAO.EXE (I wasn't sure if that was DEAD.EXE?)

Today it said 2 were found and gives the same (OEAO) and another C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ACK8825.EXE

It says "virus identified worm/swenA" and after it both say "still infected".

If it's in TEMP can't I just delete them? Disk cleanup or something?

Everyday I have been running "the Stinger" (which is a free download on the McAfee site now, that lists the swen worm among the 31 it finds and clears out). This comes up with nothing.

I've tried stopping the mail from coming into OE (taking the check out of "check for new mail every". But then I can't use it to SEND mail (as long as there's mail waiting to come in). I mainly use it for a newsgroup I'm subbed to, and can't post to that when there's in mail waiting to come in.

Also, I think this might back up the server (Earthlink) in some way?

Last time I did it, and had 217 waiting to come in, I finally downloaded them (and an email from Earthlink telling me I was over my 10 MB quota, probably automatic response, because they must realize what's going on). And kept deleting them as they came in (over time). But, of course, as soon as a download all the IN ones, and my OUT ones get to send, more start coming in.

But, I'm wondering what AVG means with those two files it says have the virus and are "still infected". I thought it moved infected files to it's vault, but this would say "moved to vault".

If I have to do anything too complicated about this, please try and keep it as simple as possible. I'm easly confused (with finding files and registry, etc)

If I have to I will wipe the harddrive and reinstall WIN 98 SE (which I have a restore disk for- (Hewlett Packard). I've been thinking I'll have to do this at some point anyway, I've had problems before this virus thing. Of course, I could probably wait till it's over (the virus emails) to do that, if I end up doing it.

I'm pretty sure I don't have the virus- or sending it, because nothing shows in my SENT folders, and nobody has let me know.

Thanks...

~ Carrie

Oh, I put those files in FIND and when they were found the AVG virus alert page came up.

When I went back to OE (inbox) it kept coming up and some said it contained them and some it didn't. I kept deleting them, and empted the deleted folder, and stopped more mail coming in.

It seems to be coming in even with it set to not let in attachments.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

500? Ouch! :eek:

I doubt reinstalling will help you very much (unless you really do have the virus). A better bet (especially if you fancy setting up a website in the next little while) would be to buy a domain name and use it for your email. Some companies even offer anti-spam and anti-virus services with the name. Either that or, at a push, try and convince Earthlink to change you're email addy.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help :(

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks...

I do have a yahoo email I use, and just set up a new ID in OE to subbed to the newsgroup with. Even though I started getting the virus emails in there already, too.

I mainly wanted to know what (if anything) to do about the TEMP INTERNET FILES that says it's the virus (or has it) and if I have to get rid of them in some way.

I'm surprised Earthlink hasn't done something about this by now, this is the 5th day, and at around 500 emails a day (I'm no longer downloading them) that's quite a lot. And there are others this is happening to, also.

~ Carrie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice