1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What does this mean.......

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ruggb, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ruggb

ruggb Thread Starter

I get this error trying to access a W7 system from this W7 system

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

What does it mean???

access is via shares - workgroup is the same - drives/folders are shared (they are accessible from other computers, W7 & XP, and those computers are accessibly by this computer.

there are no passwords on the system.
    the target system default logon is not passworded.
    There are no passwords on any of the other systems.

thx

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The following is for XP. It will probably work for Windows 7, but I do not know.

From a JohnWill post:

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
    ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

3. DrBillK

DrBillK

Hey TerryNet... how about contacting me via email.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    not sure if this is the case, but when I help customers set up their wireless connection, it asks if they want to share the files/folders etc. and if they do it gives them a big long code. Not too sure if that's what you need.

5. ruggb

ruggb Thread Starter

thx for the replies

Terrynet - don't know if that works BUT it addresses the problem - the guest account was denied access in the Group Policies. I did an optical compare between the two systems and that was the difference.

Couriant - that code is the password used for HOMEGROUP - which doesn't function on an XP system so that is why I am using WORKGROUP sharing as I have one XP computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice