1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What does this pop up mean?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryrhino, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

When I try to copy this photo from pc hard drive to flash drive I got this pop up. I do not know what this pop up means. Please tell me how to fix this issue. If I need to reformat the flash drive does that delete everything that is currently on it? When checking the properties of the flash drive it is not showing as full. Windows 8.1 64 bit. Thanks for your time and help.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

When I tried to make a new folder on the flash drive this pop up showed

Capture3.PNG

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It means what it says.
    Any drive that is formatted as FAT is limited to the number of files that can be stored in the root (as in top level) directory.
    That limit does not apply to any sub directory so it is suggesting you create and use a sub directory.

Don't panic though since it is easy to create a sub directory and move the entries. It should be able to do this quite quickly since the files themselves do not get moved; it is just the folder entries that do.

It is like a library saying that their main indexing system is full and to please use that other index instead. Only the index cards would be moved, the books themselves will remain in the same place on the shelves.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice