1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WHAT DOES Wsock32.dll do? mine's has a virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by max 8, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Hello, I just detected that this .dll file in my computer has the w95.hybris.gen virus.
    Can someone help me and tell me if I need a new wsock32.dll file and where to get it?
    THANX.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.
    I have another problem.
    I have 20 .zip files quarantined right now but can't send to Symantec to be checked since they are compressed files and symantec will not accept compressed files.
    I was also able to repair my wsock32.dll.
    What's the next step from here?
    Please help!!!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In general zip files would represent packages you downloaded from the internet and would not be required to run windows. They probably contained setup files for programs you have installed. There should be no problem with just deleting them.

An exception might be certain zip files that install with Windows Virtual Machine. These would be in the c:\windows\java directory. You would have to reinstall Windows Virtual Machine to replace them --

http://www.microsoft.com/java/

5. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response Rollin...
    So if they've been quarantined by NAV but under the column Virus Name it says "unknown" for all of them, they are infected by a virus? reason i ask is because wsock32.dll sd that it was infected by the w.95.hybrys.gen virus.
    If I leave them in quarantine, does that mean that I might still spread the virus to other programs. Will I also not be able to use those programs also?
    Thanks in advance for your response.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Nav will not let you or any program (not even Windows) access them when they are in quarantine. And as I said, generally speaking zip files are not utilized by running programs. The only exception I am familiar with is the java files installed with Virtual Machine (and this would only be the case if they were in the windows\java directory. Example: 6tzdr9zj.zip in c:\windows\java\packages)

If all your programs are running normally with them in quarantine, you should be able to have Nav delete them without any problems, but if they are a part of the java packages, you will need to reinstall Virtual Machine, one way or the other.

7. $teve

$teve

leave them all in quarantine for a couple of weeks...if all is normal in your system,then nuke em.......like rollin says while quarantined nothing can access them,so they wont be a threat.
    good luck.

8. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Thanx for your responses.
    I just deleted all 20 items that were quarantined.
    I also removed all the programs.
    I should be fine now I hope.
    I'll always keep my NAV enabled fomr now on.
    Is there anything else I need to do?
    If not, then thanx again and happy holidays!!!!

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sounds like you should be fine Max -- have a great holiday yourself! :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!