What Drivers For Dell Dimension 3100

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beachdude

On another computer (Dell Dimension 3100) I can't connect to the internet. I've read that I probably need drivers. How do I determine what drivers?

beachdude

Thanks joe957, but how does that narrow down what drivers I need? I had read in a question by another member to go to Device Manager, double-click beside a yellow ?, Properties opens, then go to Details and submit Device Instance Id. Does that sound correct? The main issue I'm having is not being able to connect to the internet. I have yellow ? marks next to Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus, Ethernet Controller, PCI Device, Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

Last edited:

texasbullet

Ramon
You need to install the chipset driver, Video driver, network driver and mouse, keyboard and input devices. You need to check your computer to see which video card it has installed and just download that driver for your video card.

beachdude

texasbullet, I listed the devices that have yellow ? marks next to them. I have no problem with either the mouse or keyboard.

texasbullet

Ramon
Download the drivers and install them in your computer. If your mouse and keyboard are working, then you can just disregard the driver. Once you get the internet connection you can just download the drivers in the optional downloads from Microsoft updates (optional step for you to do).

beachdude

OK texasbullet, I installed the chipset. How do I find what kind of video card I have? By the way, thanks for your assistance thusfar.

texasbullet

Ramon
Check on the Dell website with your service tag number of your computer or express code.
I believe the last two drivers in the video file are the ones to install.

beachdude

Well just so you know texasbullet, I AM a happy man! I now have internet access on that computer. The only yellow ? marks left under "Other devices" are PCI Device and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I downloaded and installed in the order you suggested. It installed a Network Adapter, which hadn't even been present before. It's now downloading Security Updates, etc. (130 in all). Thank you so much for hanging in there and assisting me.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't provide us with the service tag number for that Dell Dimension 3100/E310 desktop so we can confirm the identity of its components, but it likely has the integrated Intel graphics device.

This should be the graphics driver for it for Windows XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've been resurrecting and upgrading older Windows XP desktops for years, so I've developed a Windows XP install guide that saves time and frustration.

If you want to read it, it's one of the stickies at the top of the list in the "Windows XP" section.

-----------------------------------------------------------

beachdude

Well thanks flavallee, I had found mention of the tag number (which is 1ZF0S91...Express Service Tag is 4318329349) in another thread, so I did look on the Dell site under those tag numbers. So you're saying that graphics driver should take care of the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) issue? And I too am a die-hard XP fan. This Dell here is a Dimension 8200 I've had since 2003. I'm the kind that runs something until it doesn't run anymore. Thanks for your assistance.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Well thanks flavallee, I had found mention of the tag number (which is 1ZF0S91...Express Service Tag is 4318329349) in another thread, so I did look on the Dell site under those tag numbers.
This is the support site for your Dell Dimension 3100/E310 desktop and should be added and saved in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

Filtering the drivers list by its service tag number does confirm it has an Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family graphics device and a Sigmatel STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio sound device and an Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection ethernet device.

So you're saying that graphics driver should take care of the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) issue?
Yes, it should.

---------------------------------------------------------

beachdude

This is the support site for your Dell Dimension 3100/E310 desktop and should be added and saved in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

Filtering the drivers list by its service tag number does confirm it has an Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family graphics device and a Sigmatel STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio sound device and an Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection ethernet device.

Yes, it should.

Thanks again and what might solve the PCI Device issue?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It looks like that desktop came with an Intel Pentium IV 2.80 GHz processor and 1 GB(512 MB X 2) of DDR2 RAM.

It has 2 memory slots and supports up to 2 GB(1 GB X 2) of RAM.

Hopefully, you have it maxed out with RAM.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks again and what might solve the PCI Device issue?
That entry is probably associated with its Conexant D850 56K Modem device.

If it's not integrated into the motherboard and its a modem card in one of the white PCI slots, remove it.

The entry will then disappear from the Device Manager.

------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online