1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What encryption and will encrypt mess up my ability to boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JoeShmoeJohnDoe, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeShmoeJohnDoe

JoeShmoeJohnDoe Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mac Daddy Flex
    The situation is I got a 16G thumb drive with 3 partitions. One of them is a bootable kali distro, the other is just FAT32 ''free for all'' partition and the last one I want to be encrypted for important stuff. I'm looking for a freeware solution that wont mess up my ability to boot from that partition.

Thanks

Oh and I'm running windows 10 right now but probably will be using all different kinds of computers and OSs in the foreseeable future.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Are you using Home or Professional?

3. JoeShmoeJohnDoe

First Name:
    Mac Daddy Flex
    I'm using Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1803

Boot Mode: UEFI with Secure Boot disabled

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I would just use folder encryption. I think the truecrypt descendants disk encryption ask for a boot password and that might mess with grub.

How many persons have you hacked with that Kali?

5. JoeShmoeJohnDoe

First Name:
    Mac Daddy Flex
    Do you mean windows folder encryption within the file system? I could do that and it never crossed my mind to be honest, i'm gonna look into it. My only experience with encrypting drives is the software that came with my Western Digital Traveler.

I'm definitely going to need strong encryption I will be using this in public libraries. If it gets swiped which is probably going to happen it is going to end up in the hands of a bored IT student eventually or worse yet a sleuth fraudster. People will pluck them out of the machines while the person using it went to the washroom or went to retrieve something from the inkjet. I've seen homeless selling bags full of them on the street.

I haven't even gotten started with kali yet I'm a novice. I chose it because it had allot of tools. I probably should'f started on Damn Small linux but it looked too good to pass up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice