What exactly is in Firefox's Cache2 folder?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

In watching a backup run in a Command box in Windows 10, I noticed it was spending a LOT of time copying files in Firefox's Profiles\Cache2\Entries folder so I decided to take a look at what's in there. There were almost 20 thousand files. I know they aren't essential files because I have deleted them many times in the past and nothing noticeable ever happens as a result.

So my question is: What exactly are those files and what do they do?

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
That is where the temporary files (Cache) and cookies go. You can use remove them easily:

Type about:preferences#privacy<enter> in the address bar (or go to Options > Security and Privacy). The button next to History, select Use Custom Settings.

At the bottom of the page, turn on Clear History When Firefox Closes. At the far right, press the Settings button. Turn on ONLY Cache and Form And Search History leaving the others off.

RT

Type about:preferences#privacy<enter> in the address bar (or go to Options > Security and Privacy)~~
Ummm...
not to be a nudge here James... normally you don't see that sort of smiley guy in an address line ;):p

Last edited:

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
Yeah i know... the auto emoji at its finest... I spent a few minutes trying to figure how not to show it then i gave up... it's been a long time since I had to deal with that. lol

Reactions: RT
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online