1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What exactly is needed for a network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zeusss, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeusss

zeusss Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what components are needed to network 2 PC''s together.

Assume you have a barebones PC and that windows doesn't come with all the network stuff and you had to do this manually.

What parts, hardware/software would you need to have the 2 computers talk to each other. Forget about getting to the internet, just a local LAN.

Thanks!!!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Two Network Adapter Cards, and a CAT5 crossover cable. Everything else is included in Windows.

3. zeusss

zeusss Thread Starter

Thanks for the info John!! But I was trying to dig a little deeper. You mentioned "everything else is included in windows". Thats the part I'm trying to figure out, what is included (what is needed) that windows provides. Lets forget about windows and say we have Linux O.S. with no networking applications installed. What applications would I need to install?

Thanks again

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You also would need at least a network a Client (Typically Microsoft Networks but there are others)

A Protocol stack (Typically TCP/IP these days but there are others like NetBEUI)

5. zeusss

zeusss Thread Starter

Thanks for the help Bob!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Linux also has everything included for networking, though to share files with some distributions, you'll need to download Samba. FWIW, the stuff Bob mentions is part of any version of Windows, and should be installed with a basic installation.

You don't need to install any applications to network, that's what I'm trying to say. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/321214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice