1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Exactly Is Trillian?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mset, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mset

mset Thread Starter

Hello

I recently uninstalled MSN Messenger, or so I thought. Then I found this little app called Trillian, which allowed me to connect with and talk to a friend who was using MSN Messenger.

My question is - does this program emulate MSN Messenger? I received an mp3 file from my friend and when I clicked 'accept', I was asked where I wanted it stored. I clicked browse the usual tree of files and folders came up, one of which was called MSN.

Is MSN Messenger still on my computer, even though I tried to uninstall it? I don't want it on my system and I was willing to do without it's conveniences - then I found this Trillian app. Does Trillian really allow me to have the benefits of MSN Messenger without having MSFT s/w on my machine?

Any help is appreciated. Nik

2. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Trillian is basically an instant messenger emulator. It can emulate the usage of AIM, MSN, YAHOO, etc. That MSN folder is either MSN Explorer or MSN just saved that folder after it was SUCCESFULLY uninstalled.

3. mset

mset Thread Starter

OK! Thanks a lot for the reply. Given how protective MSFT is of their source codes, it's not exactly clear to me how another company could make something that allows me to 'talk' to someone using a MSFT product, but I am sure that this is because of my lack of understanding about how these messenger apps work.

Regards, Nick

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Most of the various IM (Instant Messaging) tools, AIM, MSN, Yahoo IM, etc. sign into a central server for that program (exception: there are a few that IM peer-to-peer). Your particular IM tool knows the "language" that the server wants to hear and respond with. Your (whichever) IM tool also knows your (whichever) IM name and password.

Trillian (and a couple others) know how to speak these various "dialects of IM" and you have also told it your various IM names and passwords, so that it can connect to these various IM servers to send and receive messages as if you were using the correct, specific, IM tool.

Until all the various IM tools all start talking the same language, there will always be a need for tools like Trillian. There have been proposals to try and get the various IM standards aligned, but there are always dissenters. There are reasons for this, some IM providers do not want to give up their user-base (probably for good reason). Some of those same IM providers also resist outsiders (like Trillian) to make attempts to connect to their "private" IM servers, so they make attempts to make changes to their code and tools, that hopefully will block outside users. Of course, anything that can be programmed to block, can, in time, be defeated. So then we go through a rash of updates as the IM tools are altered.

5. mset

mset Thread Starter

OK! Thanks for this explanation and sorry for the delay in responding. I am trying not to be too much of a MSFT basher but even I ( a tech dummy) can tell that their software is sometimes poorly designed (Outlook Express) and it SEEMS to want to call home a lot.

6. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

Given how protective MSFT is of their source codes, it's not exactly clear to me how another company could make something that allows me to 'talk' to someone using a MSFT product,

If you are a developer and have joined MS Developer Network you would find a wealth of SDK's, toolkits and source code examples. Writing an IM is not all that difficult. Microsoft guards its Kernel source code pretty well but even that is available to proper agencies.

7. rarchimedes

rarchimedes

This is a bit funny, given the history of IM. For years, AIM was by far the largest if certainly not the only IM game in town. When M$ first started into IM, they tried to ride on the AIM servers, hacking off AOL more than a wee bit. Then, of course, there were the weekly, daily, sometimes hourly wars to disable access by the other. Over the last few years, that seems to have subsided as the various attempts at cross connection of the systems have come and gone. I consider the whole IM area an invitation to break and enter my system, so I avoid it. Good luck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice