1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what fan is best for AMD T-Bird 1.3ghz?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maximaaa, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maximaaa

maximaaa Thread Starter

Aside from 2 case fans, what is the best fan I can get for a
    AMD TBird 1.3ghz cpu?
    I'm told it heats up pretty easily so I just want to make sure I'm
    prepared for it.
    Thanks.

2. deuce

deuce

If you have two case fans and a cpu fan, you might be fine, but you never know with AMD, they tend to heat up alot. You can also put copper or aluminum cold plates of which I am told work well under the heat sink and fan. Try the three fans first and see how she runs, and if you get excessively hot temps, you can add a cold plate if you want, and you could also get a twin turbo fan drive (if you have a 5 1/2 bay open). Those work real well and move a lot of air, but they take up a whole expansion bay and add to the noise just a little. (I like as quite as possible) The 3 fans should be enough, but they also might not. (do you plan to overclock at all?) I have a P4 (which run a little cooler) and I only use one cpu fan, and hardly ever get temps over 50C, which isn't all that hot. For normal use, 3 fans should be plenty for your AMD, but keep in mind the cold plates and twin fan drive.

3. brianF

brianF

4. slipe

slipe

If you aren’t going to overclock just get a Thermaltake Volcano Copper. Don’t get the high output model or the noise will drive you crazy. The regular copper model I think runs at 4500 RPM where the better one runs at 7000. The standard one is reasonably quiet and is quite adequate even for mild OC. The Volcano 6 Cu is the one you want – the 6 Cu+ has the high output fan.

See how much they would charge to put a dab of silver paste on it for you. I can’t remember where I got my Orb, but they did that for me without my even asking. It comes with paste, but not silver.

Thermaltake has great price/performance. I think you can get a 6 Cu for about $12 if you look around.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice