1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What File Is This?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mackoo, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

My Mcafee's keeps telling me a program file is trying to enter the internet it is C:\windows\system\svcinit.exe

I click the no because I have no idea what this file is. It is also in the registry.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mackoo

2. BillC

BillC

I hate to say this but the application is associated with a keylogger. Look at Pest Patrol's write up on 007 Starr. If you scroll down the files included in th 'Manual Removal' section you will find svcinit.exe

3. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Thanks BillC, not sure what a keylogger is but I will check the site you recommend.

Again thanks.

Mackoo

4. BillC

BillC

5. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Not sure yet but I just know my Mcafee would tell me a program was trying to enter the internet and I keep clicking no to stop it.

Don't like the sound of it but will check into it and see what I find.

Thanks BillC

Mackoo

6. BillC

BillC

From what you've said, it appears as if someone is logging what you are typing on your keyboard and then trying to "call home" with that information. You are very wise not to allow this application to access the internet. They could be after your accounts and password information.

I once had a similar problem in that a application unknown to be wanted to access the internet. My Zone Alarm alerted me and I said no. It banged on my firewall at the rate of 200+ tries an hour until I was ablle to kill it.

Have you opened any e-mail attachments from strangers lately?

7. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

BillC I believe you hit it on the head about the email from a stranger just yesterday and to beat all I know better that that. I guess this is where it came from reckon?

Also in the removal what directory or file in the explorer am I looking for to remove this file or program? I am going through the steps outlined and get stubbed on that step.

Mackoo

8. BillC

BillC

Hey Mackoo,

I'm not an expert on the fine art of removing pests, but what I think I'd try is to go into your Task Manager {Ctrl+Alt+Delete} and end the process svcinit.exe . Then I'd search to find C:\windows\system\svcinit.exe and delete it. Then reboot to see if it is truly gone by checking in your Task Manager again. Sometimes these things hide.

If that does not work, then go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download 'Hijack This!'. Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.Press that, save the log as a .txt file, and copy and paste its contents into your next post. Make it a new post to get attention and discribe the problem with C:\windows\system\svcinit.exe and someone will tell you exactly what to do to kill it.

9. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Ok, thanks BillC I will try this and see what happens or what I find.

Again thanks for the info.

Mackoo

10. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Just a follow up. Got rid of the keylogger files all is clear no more warnings popping up.

Thanks again BillC good knowledge.

Mackoo:D

11. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Is this the Spybot file?

[Exclude files] System.Dat\user\system.INI\Win.INI

Or is this part of a spyware file maybe?

Thanks

Mackoo :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice