1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Files or Directories Come on a Windows XP Home Installation Disc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by edmundtheimpaler, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edmundtheimpaler

edmundtheimpaler Thread Starter

I have an HP Media Center PC running Windows XP Home. Instead of giving me a Restore Disc or an Install Disc, all of the Restore and Installation files are saved on a Recovery Partition of the hard drive. I'm trying to make a bootable XP disc (Using UBCD4Win) and as I don't have the original installation disc, I'm not sure which files to use out of the Recovery Partition. In total the directory is about 6.5 GB and HP has their own Recovery Console on there as well, so i doubt it can possibly be all of the files, Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't believe a restore partition or restore disk can be used to create a slipstreamed install.

3. edmundtheimpaler

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and found an ISO from MSDN.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, In some cases you can and I would advise you try to follow the directions from this site to do so:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/create-windows-setup-faq.shtml <<Please give these directions a solid look-through.

It's not a ten minute process.... and, you may definitely meet a bump in the road, unless you are somewhat experienced with things like device drivers for the hardware in your computer.

(Also, computers like yours usually have a utility that you are urged to use to create you set of Recovery media, either a DVD or two or several CDR's.... did you look and see if your HP has the utility? It should be found in the list of programs you see when you click on All Programs> look for HP> Recovery Disk Creator or something very like that. )

That utility can create one set of media but they are simply an image of the computer as of the factory condition, which is something that not everyone wants to use.... the directions to try and create an XP Reinstall disk from your Recovery software might just work, and then you would have 2 ways to restore your computer. That is, if you can create a Recovery media. You may be able to purchase the original HP Recovery disks, as well. These usually sell for about $16 to $27 for HP computers. These may be available directly from HP or from another online store....if you need that store site I would be glad to post the link but you should try HP first......their cost actually is less than the 3rd party store.

5. edmundtheimpaler

I figured it would be fairly complicated. I was planning on using The Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows Application (www.ubcd4win.com) as what I had read about it seemed pretty promising.

I kept getting logged off of Windows, as well as all Versions of Safe Mode, immediately after logging on. And a Blue Screen of Death when I tried to do an HP Recovery. So I tried replacing the registries as per the fix here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 . Afterwards, I was locked out of the Recovery console with an incorrect password and consequently out of Windows by an lsass.exe Error (When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.) I started running puppy Linux and tried replacing the repaired Sam file with the old Sam file. (Maybe I should replace the restored Security and/or System files with the backups as well. I don't know). However, the NTFS drive was Read-Only. Which brings me to the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows. As I didn't have an Install disc, and hadn't found any articles which really satisfied my query as to how I would create such a thing, I got an ISO of my XP install disc. (Seemed the much simpler solution.) I was always planning on having the UBCD4Win App to build the bootable disc.

Anyway, I'm fairly satisfied with the result. It contains an MS-Dos Prompt for writing to NTFS systems, which I found useful in trying to restore the registry backups, as well as Petter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry editor, which I thought would help me create a working SAM file. However, when I changed the password to a blank field, it still wasn't correct for the login. (Which brings me to possibly restoring the Security file with the backup as well, I'm not sure.) As I was trying to exit the Offline NT Password & Registry editor the same message kept repeating itself ACK (I'm not sure if that's a Linux meme for "hack" or something, The Editor appears to be Linux-based though) Program is writing to hard disk. ACK Program is writing to hard disk. Etc. About 15 or 20 times. I'm not sure if it stopped or if the program just froze at that point. I couldn't quit the program with the keyboard though so I just turned the Computer Off and On again. Anyway, before this and afterward I couldn't load the virtual machine with the anti-virus/spyware/malware tools and registry tools (the actual UBCD4Win Program/Interface) because it appeared I was missing an .exe called "nu2menu.exe" from a directory of the same name or similar. I'm not sure if it was missing from my Windows .ISO or if it didn't build right on the CD. From what it looks like early versions of XP were missing nu2menu. I didn't have any problems building the .ISO in the .ISO-builder though.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!