1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what floppy drive can I use ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ibquackers20, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibquackers20

ibquackers20 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with windows xp with service pack2 and was wondering what floppy drive will be compatible with it or do I have to order one right from Dell ?When I double click my computer it does show a picture of a 31/2 Floppy (A:) but I do not see a place to put a floppy disc into - guess I do not have one, but need to know what works with a dell computer, really do not want to order from them if I can get one from my city (winnipeg). :confused:

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Look on the specs for your PC an it doesn't come with a floppy

Whay do you what a floppy drive?

3. ibquackers20

ibquackers20 Thread Starter

Because I have to copy documents to a floppy disc, but I have floppy discs now just no place to put them into my tower

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Well the solution would be to buy a Floppy drive and install it....you can buy external ones.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I am sure you can use any floppy if you carefully remove the front as there is a slot in the front of your tower the floppy fits behind...you simply pop out the plastic face place and there may be a metal plate on the inside as well. Might be easier to buy an external as long as y9ou don't need to boot to floppy drive to use it.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There may not be a place on the motherboard to connect a floppy to. You'd have to open the case to find out. From the looks of the new Dell's I've seen, there's no place to put an internal floppy in where you can access the drive from the outside through the casing.

If this is something you really must have, get an external USB one. However, I would suggest using USB flash drives instead of floppies to temporarily store or transfer data. They're far more reliable.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Double those were Intel mobos and I would bet there are ide controllers for them, after all they did offer them as an option.

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Been there with the Dimension 3000. The chassis does not come with any mounting cage or brackets for a floppy drive unless you order the computer with a floppy drive in the first place. You can purchase a floppy drive assembly from Dell to add it later on. The assembly has a standard floppy drive plus the sheet metal and screws to mount everything in the chassis. In our case we found a floppy kit on E-bay for one Dimension 3000 at work. All the other people that have the same model share an external USB floppy drive for the few times they still need to use a floppy.

Lacking the correct sheet metal parts, there is a tape and cardboard method.

EDIT: The mobo did have a header for the floppy cable and the PSU had the right connector. The floppy kit included the cable.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice