1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Games Can I Run In This Computer

Discussion in 'Games' started by skinner415, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skinner415

skinner415 Thread Starter

I have this old computer that almost about 11 years old. i need to convert this old lump to a gaming pc
    I'm going to buy some stuff for this from eBay.
    I all ready got a 128MB ATI Radeon 9200 PCI Video Graphics Card/VGA from eBay a few years ago, is this good enough to run games like nfs mw, call of duty modern warfare 1??
    i know i need buy some new ram cards, this pc only have about 32mb of total memory.
    how much ram i need to run this games that ive given above smoothly.
    PLS REPLY!!!!!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

That Video card will not be good enough to play those games you mention I'm afraid....I would suggest to not waste money trying to upgrade that old PC and put the money towards a new modern PC.

3. skinner415

Thanks for replying!!
    If i insert 2GB DDR2 ram cards to the computer doesn't it'll improve anything??
    I know the VGA that i told to yo'll is weak, my cousin has a Geforce 8400 gs 512 thats not currently in use now. If i install that also to the pc what'll happen?

4. challapradyumna

challapradyumna

what is the processor ??

5. skinner415

6. geodripp

geodripp

If it only had 32mb of ram on it I don't think it would even have an AGP slot. Could you post what it is? Like a Dell 6200 or something? Numbers anywhere on the front?

7. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

If this computer is really 11 years old, it will cost more to upgrade this PC than to purchase a new one. There isn't enough RAM to run XP if it actually has 32MB. (I'm guessing this system was Windows 95/98.) You'd need to get to at least 2 GB to be useful. Problem with that is you won't be able to find the RAM that fits your motherboard. If you did, it would cost way more than current RAM (since it isn't manufactured anymore). To upgrade the RAM sufficiently, you will have to change out the motherboard, which means replacing the CPU; I'm betting the slot for your current CPU isn't made anymore either. Which means replacing your power supply because your current one is no longer compatible (missing a voltage). Which means replacing your video card (you will have to go to PCIe).

In short, save the frustration and the money; purchase new, or build one from scratch.

8. Irukku

Irukku

Courtneyc is right.

You can't just insert DDR2 and PCI Express things in a 11yo computer :p... they'll most likely be incompatible. Your PC is only useful for really old operating systems (Win95/98 as mentioned), which only support really old games like Warcraft II, Age of Empires I, Wolfeinstein 3D, or DOS based stuff, answering to your primary question.

Just get a new machine, hehe, I know you can. xD

9. shihni

shihni

I actually have that video card in my old PC (unfortunately, it's sitting in a closet and currently missing some pieces). It was built in '98 (I have the receipt to prove it!).

It really depends on the processor and the motherboard. P3 processors were released shortly after this box was bought (its an overclocked p2). It has an Asus BX6 mobo, which has an AGPx1 slot, but I distinctly remember having to flash the bios before I could install a 40GB 2nd hard drive (windows 98 is sitting on a 8.5GB drive).

Pick up two sticks of 128MB PC100 ram, but know that this is not as cheap as you think it should be.

You cannot play NFS: Most Wanted on that system. The first Call of Duty would probably work (from 2003), the rest would not. NFS:U2 might play, depending on your processor and if you overclock it... but it would probably run badly. Basically... any game newer than 2003/2004 would not work, and if they do they'll run poorly.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice