1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What gives power to the Motherboard that isn't a power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xadavid, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xadavid

Xadavid Thread Starter

My PC suddenly shut off and wouldn't turn on, but the mouse and motherboard lights were still on. A tech took my PC and ran some tests. I assumed that either my Power supply or my Motherboard was unfunctional but he called me back telling me that it was neither, and that the problem was coming from "a part" that gave power to the motherboard. The replacement of this part would cost $80.

Am I getting ripped off? What part could possibly cost $80 and isn't the Power supply?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Assuming it's a Desktop PC none that I know of.

It's remotely possible if it's a Laptop though.

I would ask the 'tech' exactly what part it is and what he would replace to fix it..

3. Xadavid

Xadavid Thread Starter

No, it's a desktop.
    It's very strange, I'll defiantly be talking to this tech tomorrow afternoon.

4. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Power supplies will sometimes go all at once, or once in a while it will leave some of the voltages on that might keep the mouse light on...It could be the power switch which isn't exactly $80 dollars. It could also be the jumper on the Motherboard that allows the switch to turn it on...Check all of the cables and jumpers on the Motherboard and make sure they're tight. And try a different outlet....Could it be your monitor?

5. Xadavid

Xadavid Thread Starter

Thanks for the PSU tip, I didn't know that. I'm not is possession of my PC, the Tech has it right now. My monitor is working fine as well.

6. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    I'd be curious to see what repair was done on the invoice, if you care to share....(y)

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    $80 could be reasonable for a new PSU if that's what the tech meant.

8. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    I agree...(y) Just pointing out possibilities....;)

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Same here. :)

10. Xadavid

Xadavid Thread Starter

No, he told me it was not the power supply.
    I'm very much curious to see what's wrong, I'll make sure to come back tomorrow with the results.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The only other part that provides any power to the motherboard on a desktop computer is the CMOS Battery. and if he is saying that is what it is, that is only a $3 part at Walmart. But the CMOS Battery wouldn't prevent the computer from powering on.

12. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Good point dusty, but the CMOS battery can't light up the Mouse...

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That is why I am thinking this tech is someone to avoid. He says it isn't the Power Supply and it isn't the motherboard (Motherboard test would require the system to operating t rule tht out) and a power supply tester is not that reliable a test. Sounds like he found a loose wire and wants to make the most he can out of it.

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There are other parts that cold keep a system from starting yet leave lights lit, such as a bad HDD or Optical Drive.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice