1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happened to my computer? It won't even turn on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alexluong, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexluong

alexluong Thread Starter

Case ( Thermaltake Armor Jr. Gaming Case )
    Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
    Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) )
    Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance INTEL CPU
    Motherboard ( Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset w/6-channel CODEC, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
    Memory ( 4096MB [1024MB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 )
    Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
    Hard Drive ( 200 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )
    CD/DVD Drive ( [Lightscribe Technology] 18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
    CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( Sony Q170A Dual Format/Double Layer 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
    Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

I am clueless as to what has possibly happened to my computer. Previously, I was running Windows XP 32-bit on it just fine for a months. However, I decided just yesterday it was time to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64-bit to make the best use of my specs.

It ran fine that day. Everything was super smooth and looked wonderful with Vista even giving my computer a 5.0/5.0, meaning I assume it was able to handle it.

That night, I left my computer on to download some essential programs. At about 4:00AM in the morning, I woke up to realize my computer was beeping. It was one long continuous beep, and I actually had to run around the house before I actually discovered what it was. My monitor turned itself off as well, so it appeared. Definitely something was up, so I just decided to shut down the computer and went back to sleep.

I awoke two hours later to go to school, but logged on to cram a little more for my tests and check the weather and whatnot. When I was finished after a few minutes, I hit the log off button. Then my computer started making that beep again. I turned it off and headed to school.

So now I'm back from school after about 7 hours, and I try to use my computer again. For some reason, it fails to even power on anymore. What could possibly be the problem? Notice this was a day after installing Vista Ultimate 64-bit, when my computer has been running fine for months with XP 32-bit. Could the use of my quad core and RAM to their full potential have led to such problems?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. steven1350

steven1350

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice