1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happened to my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lola2001, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Yesterday we had a partial power outgage. The lights dimmed to about 1/4 what they should be and my computer shut off and tried to reboot. At the boot screen it would stop and reboot again. This happened about 3 times (I was not aware of the power problem) before I shut it off. Then all the power went off for a couple of hours.

Finally when the power came back on I turned on the computer only to see NOTHING! I checked all my connections and everything was fine. I thought maybe something happend to the monitor so hooked up another one, that didn't work either. Then I thought the video card was fried so I tried another one. No luck. Finally I cleaned the reseated everything and tried one last boot when I noticed I'm not hearing any beeps! I know that's not good! So I shoved in a win98 boot disk and rebooted and it came on fine.

Except for the fact that I have win2000 so it wouldn't boot at least I knew that the video card and monitor worked fine. I put in the win2000 CD and rebooted.

Everything is fine now. Took out the CD and rebooted and everything is back to normal. What happened to my computer?

2. mobo

mobo

Can you try booting and tapping the f8 key which will take you to the safe mode selection screen. from here choose last known good configuration if possible.

3. McTimson

McTimson

Yup, I had a similar problem, there was a little bit of power, so the computer kept trying to run. I fixed by clearing the CMOS, and it worked for some reason. I guess computers do weird things when they get the wrong amounts of power.

4. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Motherboard: It's working fine now so I don't need to change to last known configuration. I couldn't even see anything at all on the screen until I threw in the boot disk.

Timson: I guess that I unknowingly cleared the CMOS then (is that possible, unknowingly?). Next time that it reboots by itself I'm just going to shut it down. It totally freaked me out when it wouldn't come back on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/153900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice