1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Happened to my Computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jraquel, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jraquel

jraquel Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I have a computer with 2000 on it and one with 98. They were sharing an internet connection via a wireless router and I have done something that has stop letting the 2000 connect to the internet. The router is connected to the 98, as is the modem.
    It was working perfectly until I had a little trouble with the modem, I thought, which turned out to be in the standby mode, so I guess I clicked or pushed something I wasn't supposed to.

Anyone have any idea as to what I might have done to cause this?

2. SkyHi

SkyHi

Well, I'm not sure of the cause, but I'd try to
    1) Unplug / replug in the cables and
    2) Update / reinstall drivers

-SkyHi

3. ezymony

ezymony

Shut down both computers unplug the power to the modem unplug power to the router. Reboot modem first then router then both computers.

4. jraquel

jraquel Thread Starter

Thanks, but that did not work, sort of, :)

but I did find out what was wrong. Both the computers had the same group name. When I started the 2 computers back up the 2000 started first and the internet started, but when I turned on the 98 it gave an error message that the name of the computer was already connected, so I renamed the 98 to something different and now they both can get on the internet.

Thanks for the help, turning them off and restarting sort of solved the problem, huh? :rolleyes:

Thanks

5. ezymony

ezymony

Well sort of at least you learned something new the computers have to have different names but be on the same workgroup.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365273