1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happened to my desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kenigma, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenigma

kenigma Thread Starter

I have an IBM Thinkpad that runs Windows 2000. This afternoon, I downloaded Windows Media Player 9. When I tried to installed it, the process failed. I was annoyed, but kept on working at my laptop. An hour later I shut it down.

In the evening when I started Windows up again, 70% of my desktop icons were gone! My wallpaper was gone. My browser settings had entirely disappeared -- no bookmarks. My mappings to remote drives had vanished. I restarted and directed Windows to find the "last good system," but I still got the same vanilla desktop.

I have a hunch that my disappeared system can be recovered by manipulating the registry, but I have no clue how to do it. Can anyone direct me on how to restore the settings that I had?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Desktop shortcuts and Favorites links are files. They cannot be restored by changing values in the registry. First try to use System Restore to go back to a point before you tried installing Windows Media Player. If that doesn't work, search the hard drive for the name of a shortcut or Favorite link you know you had. You may find it in another profile's directory.

3. kenigma

kenigma Thread Starter

I have seen registry changes that restore shortcuts and Favorites.

I don't know what System Restore is. When I enter the term in a help search, Windows returns help topics that deal with "Last Good System Configuration," an idea that I tried with no succcess.

4. kath100

kath100

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I missed the operating system in the original post. Windows 2000 does not have System Restore.

I've never heard of changing a registry key and having deleted files restored. If someone else has experience with this procedure, maybe they can help.

I would suggest searching the drive for files you know you had. If they don't show up, the profile may have been corrupted and the files permanently deleted.

6. kenigma

kenigma Thread Starter

Something I should have reported before: On startup, when I select "Last Known Good Configuration," I see the highlighted words "Undocked Profile." Is Windows 2000 telling me that all my settings are in a profile that needs to be "docked"? If so, how do I do this?

As for the missing shortcuts, I found them on the path D:/Documents and Settings/username/Desktop. Problem is, the applications that underlie the shortcuts come up uninitialized and with no settings. Again, my hunch is that they are all stored somewhere, in this "profile" thing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice