1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Happened To My Font?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jjmudlin, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjmudlin

jjmudlin Thread Starter

Hi Again,

After starting my computer today some of the fonts on websites are now changed to this tiny, impossible to read font. What's weird is that not everything on the pages are this way. For example, when I go onto Yahoo, I have no problem reading the stories, and my email, etc. But up at the very top the links at the very top left for Mail and My Yahoo are changed AND the wording at the very bottom of the page that is about copyright info and "contact us" links. I hope I'm making sense...and/or am explaining this in a way you can understand. How would this change without my help and how can I fix it? THANKS so much for your help!! :)

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

When IE is open, click on View/TextSize and then choose a larger size than what is selected now. Some viruses or other malware do this, so I would scan you system thoroughly for both.

3. jjmudlin

jjmudlin Thread Starter

I actually did both of these things and it didn't change. Hmmmm...could it be possible that something is actually getting past the scans that I do for malware and viruses? I have AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spyblaster, Spyware Guard and Norton. I update them and run them frequently...what else should I do? The interesting thing is that it's not the size of the font that changed but the style...it's the strangest thing I've ever seen. Any ideas? Thanks, by the way, for all your help....SO very much appreciated! [Oh, and I agree with your quote....you should smile often...it absolutely affects the people around us. It's like the water rippling affect, you know? One life touches another life and then that one touches another life and so on...very cool. : )

4. kimmer13

kimmer13

Ok, open IE and click on Tools / Internet Options. Toward the bottom you will see a button for Fonts. Click on it. On mine, it says "Latin Based" / "Times New Roman" and "Courier New". If yours already say that, change it to something else and see if it will take the change.

Post back & let us know. ps thanks for the comment on my signature line - i have it to remind me - sometimes i get so caught up in 'stuff' i just plain forget!

5. jjmudlin

jjmudlin Thread Starter

It was set on those already! I just don't know what happened because I didn't change anything..it was just like that one day when I turned on the computer like normal. I have scanned my computer for everything WITH everything I have I have... It wouldn't be that big of a deal but on one site I went to (cuisinart) to check on a product I'm having repaired I couldn't read so much of it...very frustrating. Any other suggestions? THANKS!

6. jjmudlin

jjmudlin Thread Starter

Any ideas?

7. jjmudlin

jjmudlin Thread Starter

Hello? Anyone there to help?? Thanks!

8. kimmer13

kimmer13

Open Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs. Locate Internet Explorer 6.1, and highlight it. Click on Add/Remove. Choose Repair from the 3 options given and let it run. Restart if it tells you to.

If that doesn't work, see if you have ie6setup.exe on your hard drive somewhere and run it to reinstall IE.

*****as a sidenote, do you have antivirus & spyware tools, and are they up to date? have they all been run to eliminate the possibility a virus or malware program is causing this? *******

let us know how it goes.

9. jjmudlin

jjmudlin Thread Starter

Fixed IE...still no change. I ran all ofmy spyware tools that are currently up to date. So, that's not it. How do I go about locating ie6setup.exe on my hard drive to reinstall it? Thanks for your help.

10. kimmer13

kimmer13

11. jjmudlin

jjmudlin Thread Starter

How sure are you that this will work...for some reason reinstalling things makes me feel nervous. I'm afraid of losing stuff, not doing it right, or something else major...you know? Oh, and yes, I ran my Norton...nothing came up.

12. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Hi :)

My first suggestion probably would have been View>Text Size as well.

Or sometimes with a mouse, holding down Ctrl and at the same time move the scroll up/down can change font size.

Does it happen on every website or just some?

I see you checked Fonts via Tools>Internet Options
    How about Tools>Internet Options>General tab>Accessibility

Is anything checked in there?

13. kimmer13

kimmer13

Cheeseball81, why didn't I remember the Accessibility button!?!? Thanks for stepping in there.

jjmudlin, I can't guarantee reinstalling will work, but you've checked all the other solutions I could think of. But if you are uncomfortable with it at all, see if anyone else here has an idea. The people on this site are great. I don't know if you should start a new thread and in it, reference this one so new readers know what you've already tried, or if you want to summarize it in the new thread. But maybe a subject of "Is reinstalling IE the only option to fix this problem?"

Good Luck! kimmer

14. jjmudlin

jjmudlin Thread Starter

Hi There! Thanks Cheeseball 81 for helping too! I went into Accessibility and nothing was checked...should I check something?? Thanks!!

15. JPLamb

JPLamb

if you need the internet but ie still does not work you can download netscape or opera from the net this is a similar program to ie. you need to type 'netscape' or 'opera' in to google. this will alow you to use the net with no problems until you get ie working or just keep using them

hope this helps

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice