1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happened to my monitor?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suprme32, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suprme32

suprme32 Thread Starter

I got to my office today and turned on my laptop only to find this "blob" in the corner of my screen! Any ideas, it seems like it would have had to have been dropped or something or struck with something..I haven't talked to my girlfriend yet to see if she used it, but I know it wasn't something I did...any ideas from the community?[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

I assume that 'blob' is present no matter what you open on your desktop?

It looks like pressure damage of some kind to me, either a knock or some weight has been put on it. This could of happened when the laptop was off or even with the lid closed if something heavy was put on it.

A quick test to confirm it is the screen and not the graphics card would be to plug the laptop into an external monitor and test on that. If the external monitor image is fine then the problem is definately with the laptop screen itself.

3. suprme32

suprme32 Thread Starter

Yeah, it's there at all times...my guess is that it's going to be like that for the remainder of it's days?

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If the screen is damaged it won't repair itself unfortunately (would be nice if they could). Depending on the machine, it's age, your budget and your experience / willingness to take things apart, you may be able to get a replacement screen fairly easily. In the big scheme of things they often aren't to difficult to replace (albeit a bit fiddly), but I can also understand why people don't want to risk it themselves.

What is the exact make and model?

5. suprme32

suprme32 Thread Starter

That's good to know, I've replaced laptop keyboards before..that's about as deep as I've gotten though. I think I could handle a screen replacement.

It's an HP 635, bought it new about 6 months ago..

I found a replacement online for $69.00 seems definitely worth it. Thank you for the help!

Replacement: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GBPG7Q?tag=lap4g2-20

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    No problem, if you are unsure try Googling HP635 Screen Replacement (or similar) there may be some guides out there. I can't check much at work as my internet is quite limited.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Before buying I would wait until you can see the back of your present screen and then check the connector as shown at your amazon link and also check the screen's ID code is exactly the same as the replacement.

8. suprme32

suprme32 Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm going to familiarize myself with the removal process before I know I can do it. Thank you!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice