1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happened to my video card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spiteful, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

well one day my vid card was working perfect, the next day, it randomly just stopped. NOthing moved, doing ctrl,alt,delete did nothing. I had to reboot manualy.

Anyway, It kept going on again and again, each time I rebooted manualy i got that error message, it said there was a problem with my vid. card, which is a 9700 Radeon pro. It said something like it failed to do the drawing picture.

I tried restarting, using a restore point, nothing worked, I have yet to open it, but I think my vid card fried or something, But I have no certain idea, so IM posting here.

Please help me, thanks in advance.

2. active95

active95

If you still see something on the screen is not fried, but it doesn't mean it works.
    Might wanna try and see if the power cable is inserted right.
    If that doesn't work to check and see if the problem doesn't come from the mobo, might wanna borrow a video card and install it. If there are no problems with the new video card and windows boots up , then you'll need to either try to RMA the ATI or buy a new one.
    In some circumstance you might try and attempt a reflash of the BIOS of the ATI ( sometimes it works and if it doesn't work well the card is no good anyways)
    HTH

3. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

i tried checking the power cord, nothing happened

how do I do this "reflash" the bios? Maybe that will work. If not then I will try another video card

4. Cell

Cell

just a little question...you didnt happen to install service pack 2 recently did you?? when i installed it with my radeon 9200 mine keep freezing and crashing too.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't quite understand whats happening. Do you ever get anything on the screen? IS the picture ok or whats wrong with? If the video cuts out, at what point? How old is the computer or have you changed anything recently?

I think flashing any BIOS will not do much since it worked and then stopped.

6. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

1st off, No i didnt install SP2, I did before and yea it crashed me, I had to reinstall Windows XP with SP1, but thats long gone

ok, heres more decribtion of what happens:
    TUrn on PC, get to log in window, logs in, every perfect....
    then after about... 5-10 minutes, BAM! everything freezes, wierd part is that I can still hear sounds, like as if an error message pops up, today i haerd someone logging off of AIM after the freese happened.

I have to manualy turn it off by holding the power switch, then when i turn it back on again. Sometimes right after I do this, it freezes at the screen where it says "DELL" and upper right hand corner says F2-Enter SEtup, F8-do something else(i forgot what) freezes with bar 80% full, once It did it with bar 99% full

then I have to manualy turn it off again, turn it back on, then it works normal again. thats when i get to desktop and get the error message, which it then crashes again like I said before in 5-10 minutes or so.

I recieved the PC as a gift in late of 2003, only thing new recently is a Network Card, b/c after I reformatted (6 months ago or so) it wouldnt work for internet at all (it has an internal network card) so i used another one, and it worked fine.

7. Cell

Cell

you could try updating the driver or reinstalling it. it might have gone bad.

8. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

i got the answere from a friend about 3 days ago, turns out it was overheating, so it shut itself down to prevent damage from itself.

I took it out, cleans it, ran it with it open and a fan blowing in it, no problems since

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice