1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happened to this hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flowdrip, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

Today I went to access my J: drive which is a 250 GB Maxtor HD, everytime I tried to open it, my mouse would freeze in one spot, and Cntrl+Alt+Delete wouldn't even bring up the task manager to try to stop the unresponsive HD. Alt + F4 wouldn't kill it either. The only thing I could do was a reboot. After about 5-6 times of doing that I figured I better ask a pro! Nothing has been downloaded to that drive in months and nothing shows up on my twice weekly virus, spyware, and malware scans. Anybody have any suggestions that I should try? I have about 240GB of documents and photos on there and I would be screwed if I lose it. I'd have way too many pissed off clients to stay in business.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

This is the approach I use on all external hard disks that come to me for data retrieval:

Remove the disk from its enclosure and connect it directly to a desktop computer via its power and IDE connector. See if Windows recognizes it's there. If it recognizes it is there but still won't/can't read it, run CHKDSK /R on the drive.

Get back to us with your result.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice