What happened to Windows???????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Melly

Please help a girl down on her luck,:(

I don't know what happened, either Windows XP Home Edition
died or my hard drive failed me. All I know is I have no windows,
just a blank screen & yes I double checked my monitor. All I know
is I have no way to reach anything on my hard drive.

I called Microsoft & a kind tech worked with me for quite awhile
he tried several times in different ways, to get into safe mode. I
pressed F8 enough times to convince me it just wasn't working.
He did his best, tried everything he could but to no avail. We did
find that my files were still on my 80 gig hard drive. He did
caution me against running any diagnostics for fear of losing
those oh so important files.

He said there are places that could help me recover the
information on my hard drive. He said all I would have
to do is take my hard drive to them & they would copy it
to CD or DVD. Well I went to my sister's house to use her
PC to look for these people online. I found some people
that say they can do this but they want $500.00 dollars or
more to do it!!!! :eek: There is no way I can afford that!

Isn't there another way? Can't I save my files? Somehow
copy my files to CD or DVD myself? Does anyone know
what I can do to get to my files to save them? I had just
put a ton of photos I was storing on my PC to upload to my
paid & insured online storage site. They can not be replaced.:>(

Please, somebody help I am drowning!!!

Thank you for any help you can spare :>)

Dell Dimension XPS T600
Intel Pentium 111 598MHz
Memory RAM
mem_slot0: 128Mb
mem_slot1: 256Mb
Maxtor 20 gig hard drive
WDC 80 gig hard drive
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Norton SystemWorks 2005

PIONEER DVR-AO5 all in 1 drive
DVD-RW,CD-RW,DVD,CD-R

-----------------------------------------------------------

First things first, is the monitor plugged in and functioning properly?

well first, cut the system off, cut it on and tap f8 as soon as you cut it on..continue to tap f8 until you get to a screen that will give you a few prompts, you want to go to safe mode, choose your windows, then enter as admin assuming you can get in..if it lets you in you will be able to save your documents possibly, depending on how bad the os (operating system is corrupted)...if that doesnt work, run diagnostics on your hdd,to do so cut your computer off, and if you have your drivers and utilities cd, put it in the cd rom drive, then shut your computer off, cut it back on and start tapping f12, it will come up to a boot screen, highlight cd rom and hit enter then start tapping space bar, eventually it will come up and give you a list, choose diagnostics, run the express test and if you have a bad hdd, it will let you know..check the contract on your system by going to www.support.dell.com....if you have a contract, dell will be able to ship you a new hdd, also assuming you have a bad one. and if none of that works you probly wont be able to get your information retreived...best bet is to go to best buy...

Yes, you can backup your files easy to CD or DVD by doing this...take the hard drive out of the system, and slave it to your sister's system. It will show up in Windows as a totally different drive, and from there you can burn these files to a DVD or CD.

As far as taking the hard drive out and slaving it...you can go to support.dell.com, and retrieve valuable resource guides with information on how to extract the hard drive from your system. Slaving a hard drive is as easy as hooking it up to the primary with an IDE cable, and then using the jumper on the hard drive to turn it from primary to slave. If you look at the hard drive, you'll see what I'm talking about. Most hard drives have a little picture describing what to do with the jumper and where to put it. It's not as hard as it sounds. And on Maxtor hard drives, it's probably the easiest thing to do.

Oh, and mongaloid, if you'd have read the post closer, you'd have noticed that she called Microsoft, and they tried F8 and booting into Safe Mode several times. That's not much help to her at this point.

well, as far as the f8, it never hurts to try again, you never know, , though i should have read more carefully that she couldnt get in..i missed that..i was eating...take me to court.. and you of all people should know that it never hurts to try again, as far as the diagnostics, if she cant back up her information, i do not see how running diagnostics would have her to lose some of, if any of her files, explain that to me...some one, i have never seen it..as far as slaving the drive, she could probly do it...i dont know, i wasnt going to go there yet, but no..you went there, so props to ya

Melly

Thank you so much mongaloid &
xSoilworkeRx for considerate time
& help.

You couldn't have known this
xSoilworkeRx but I updated
the info on my post after
mongaloid answered my post.

So sorry about that I didn't
mean to cause any problems.

Thanks again :>)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online