1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happens after you convert your internal hard drive to an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techn3rd, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techn3rd

techn3rd Thread Starter

I am unsure about what happens after you convert your internal hard drive to an external hard drive... Let's say the internal HDD was your only laptop HDD and you replaced it with a SSD. If you convert your old internal HDD to an external HDD, what would happen when you open it up on your newly installed OS (on the SSD)?

I am trying to download a new OS but us my old internal HDD as an external drive just to access specific files. However, I don't want any other data/programs/settings/etc. downloaded onto my new SSD. Do I need to delete my old OS when I convert my old internal HDD into an external HDD or does the OS simply get "reduced" to a bunch of files that I will see on my newly installed OS?

If anyone is able to clarify these questions that would be fantastic!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes
    it will just be seen as a data drive and you would need to goto the directory for your data
    it wont run as an OS at all

3. techn3rd

techn3rd Thread Starter

Is it possible, then, to have my laptop boot from the external drive; or in other words, I would basically have two different "computers" in my laptop depending on which drive I boot from? and Would both hard drives have their own Windows OS registries?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont know for sure - others may help
    i suspect it would depend if the PC can boot from USB at all -and then not sure how much of the OS would work

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice