1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happens when the windows 8 consumer preview expires?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lili5689, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lili5689

lili5689 Thread Starter

Jun 10, 2011
    My brother installed the consumer preview on my laptop and i am wondering what happens when it expires. Will it just go back to windows 7? Also is there any way for me to downgrade to windows 7 in the meantime, because i dont care much for windows 8. Also i dont have the windows 7 install disk as the software was pre-installed on my laptop.
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Mar 23, 2005
    Because we can still install the Windows 8 Release Preview few people are concerned about the Consumer Preview expiring. I don't know exactly what will happen when either expires; when similar temporary releases of Windows 7 expired they did not completely stop working, but progressively got worse (black background, warning popups, automatic shut downs, etc.) to motivate users to stop using them.

Have you checked to see if Microsoft has posted anything about the Consumer (or Release) Preview end of life?

If you did not make a set of Recovery (or "Restore") DVDs (or CDs) when you still had access to the Recovery Partition you may still be able to buy a set from the PC manufacturer.
  3. jmwills

Sep 28, 2005
    No going back to Windows 7 unless you clean install. There is no upgrade path from the preview to the full version.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069912