1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What happens with WINXP 'activation'?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SoundDude, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SoundDude

SoundDude Thread Starter

Borrowed a friends copy of WINXP which HASN'T been activated yet. What exactly is envolved with the activation process - ie, if I activate it, can he still intall it on his computer one day (if not why - and what are the loop holes?)

THANKS GUYS!!!

SoundDude

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The activation process creates a hash code based on BIOS, any Network card and several other critical parts of the computer components. This is recorded by MS when first activated.

You can change about 5 things before it will refuse, its quite a tolerant process. I have changed quite a bit of hardware, and it activates fine.

However, if you activate it on your PC, your friend will not be able to do so on his in the future. It will have a hash code based on a subset of your machine/motherboard, so his attempts will be refused.

Windows is only licensed for installation on one PC.

3. SoundDude

SoundDude Thread Starter

So if MS are fairly tollerent (ie it would let me activate again with a new harddrive (an upgrade)) couldn't I install another hard drive into the computer, install and activate winXP, then swap hard drives back???

Thanks

4. SoundDude

SoundDude Thread Starter

OR

If I were to ring up instead of using the net to activate, give them the id they need from pc1 (which the software is legitemetly licenced to) get the password I need off them, and then use the same password/code for pc2 - would this work?

Thanks again!

SoundDude

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cant "get the details from PC1" without installing the OS on PC1. Its not as simple as getting serial numbers, the hash code is done by XP at the time you install it, based on lots of things.

There is no difference ringing to activating over the net. The OS will generate a unique hash code for that unigue set of hardware (embedded unique ID of BIOS, Network adapter...etc) and it simply will not work if the OS it transferred to another PC, by any means. Each time the OS runs, it will test for validity of the code against the hardware ID hash.

There is a remote possibility the MS will periodically "reset" their end, in which case it will see a new request as valid, but thats probably an urban myth.

What you are trying to do, is to install the OS against the terms of the license. Thats actually illegal, and you really should not post such intentions on a public forum.
    When you swap a HDD with the OS on it, to another PC, the OS will immediately detect a different PC. It will allow the HDD change OK, but suddenly you have changed everything but the HDD.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!