Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What hardware should I use for my TWC hispeed service?

469 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  valis 
#1 ·
I am new to the site and this is my first post. I hope I am in the correct forum. I will give my scenario and what my thought process was/is and if anyone can give me some info, suggestions, feedback, etc I would be very grateful. Here it goes;
I am getting high-speed internet service from TWC (time warner cable) very soon. I have a smart tv and will use the service for streaming movies on netflix, prime,etc but I will mainly use the connection for online gaming with a PS4. I have a tri-level house. My main tv, the smart tv, is on the middle level. I was considering having the service hookup installed on that wall, buying a modem from Amazon that is compatible w/ TWC of course, using an ethernet line to do a "direct connect" from the modem to the smart tv (which will broadcast a wifi signal for other devices to pick up on) and then go from there. My thought about the PS4/gaming area is the next part to the question really. I was wondering if Iwould need to get a modem that is a wifi modem/router so that my PS4, which is on the "floor level" can then pick up the wifi signal directly from the modem the smart tv is connected to or would it be possible to pick up the wifi signal from the smart tv itself from that distance? The 3rd option I was questioning is.....could I or should I get some type of wifi extender that I can plug in somewhere inbetween the smart tv and my PS4 so that it would be stronger possibly? I hope I am making sense with this. I have a NAT type currently of 3 or STRICT and that is b/c I am only using my wirelesshotspot to game online. I never get booted or glitch however the microphone sometimes is not allowed on "parties" however, I have no problem whatsoever chatting to people that are just in a regular "group" on certain games. I prefer to have an "OPEN" or 1 NAT type. I would like to do a direct connection to my PS4 by ethernet and a direct connection to my smart tv byethernet or is that necessary for both devices? Mainly Iwant the NAT type improved on PS4 and I assume that is improved if I dont use a hotspot. I also want to stream movies w/o lagging or slow loading issues on the smarttv. So, What should I do to make this work? Should I stay away from a wifi modem so I dont have to depend on a wireless signal for my movies and for it to travel uninterrupted to the bottom level in which I then have to rely on my PS4 picking up that signal? Is there a specific modem, router, wife extender anyone can recommend along with trying to figure out theequiptment I need to purchase? Amazone is having a "Prime Days Sale" in like 10 minutes and I would love to buy my TWC compatible equiptment I need and save some cash. Plus, I understand that if I provide my own modem/router that is compatible w/ TWC I will not be charged the rental fee for using their device on amonthly charge. I have a Motorola modem from when I actually had my desktop plugged in and connected. I donot know if it is so far out of date or even compatible w/ TWC but I will include that info and if anyone knows if it will work w/ todays highspeed technology maybe I can use it. I guess I am asking what would you all do if you wanted to have 1 smart tv connected and capable for streaming media, movies, wifi bluray,etc and then a regular hd tv about 20-30 yards away that you want to use for online gaming as well as streaming Prime, netflix, etc on your PS4 and all without having any slowdown issues or lagging problems, slow uploads,downloads on updates, etc. Sorry I am being sooverly explanative and reitterating the same point. Youall know what I am getting at probably and I am only going overboard for my own benefit to make sure I am putting out as much info as possible. Thank you so much and I hope to hear back from someone.
(Motorola modem has a DSL, Ethernet and Power inleton the back of it. Serial number is 157099626960 and theMAC is 002493DE11D0) Maybe this Motorola is adinosaur I have no clue!

See less See more
#2 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.