1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what has filled up my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nszat1, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nszat1

nszat1 Thread Starter

Running Windows 98,2nd. Have an 8.4 G hard drive. Clicking on properties shows that 7.8 G is used. Clicking on all of the folders in Windows Explorer to check size of each folder indicates that there is no way I could have more than 2 G in use. I've run Norton utilities, virus scans - everything checks out. What is taking up all this space? And how do I correct it?
    Thanks

2. Dark Mage

Dark Mage

Have you run a complete scandisk? Sometimes files show that they are larger than they actually are and you can delete them...Also, I know you say you ran anti-virus scans, etc., but are the definition files all up to date?

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

If this is a brand name computer (Compaq, etc) there is some space used by the restore area of the disc. This could also be true of programs like Norton Ghost or Go-Back. You could also have tons of junk in the form of temp files.

4. nszat1

nszat1 Thread Starter

Virus definitions are up to date. Have deleted all temp files, cookies, internet temp files, etc. Computer was built by an independent shop - probably little or no restore area. No Norton Ghost or Go Back. Tried to update some files and was told that there was no disk space available. Something is there, and I can't see or find it to delete it.
    Years ago with another computer, I had a virus that caused the contents of the C drive to keep replicating itself until the disk was full. Any virus like that out there now?

5. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Also when looking for these "mysterious files"make sure you have the option to view hidden files checked under "My Computer>View>Folder Options>tick (or untick) box to view (or hide) hidden files....I don't remember exactly where it is on Win98 but I think that's close See alsoHow to View System and Hidden Files in Windows

6. Dark Mage

Dark Mage

What about e-mail? Your .dbx or .pst files could be something to look at...

7. starwaves77

starwaves77

Robbieart posted a problem where he had 1600 chk files that Scandisk had created, totalling 10 GB , Chk file overload

Download this hard drive cleaner, not only can you use it to wipe all types of junk files but it will sort out the space using a file tree of your hard drive, showing you where all the space is being used, just click on 'drive information', then 'tree size information' HD CLEANER

Perform a 'advanced' search using 'find',
    Click on start / find / files and folders, then 'advanced'
    In 'Of Type' choose 'all files and folders'
    In 'Size is' choose 'at least' then start with 75mb or 75000kb,

Now search . . . are you getting an abundance of strange multimedia files? Wav files? Video? If not, lower the setting to 25mb / 25000kb , test again, then lower to 5000kb, etc

You will quickly find the huge files that you know about or don't know, then decide what to keep and delete, you could easily have wav files of 75 mb and video of 100,

:)

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Nszat1:

Read my article, "Throwing Out The Trash".

Right-click the Recycle Bin, then click Properties. Move the slider from its default value of 10% back to 3%. Click Apply - OK. If your hard drive is indeed 8.4 GB, you should regain about 600 MB of hard drive space this way.

Make sure to delete everything that appears in "Find" under:

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.*

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

9. nszat1

nszat1 Thread Starter

HD Cleaner helped free up 1.55 G on the C drive. The tree size made if clear where all the junk was hiding, and I was able to delete it. Also changed recycle bin default to 3%. Many thanks for the quick assistance. Problem solved! :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice