What has that sportzriter been up to?

sportzriter13

Mom (melyogi) and I wish everyone a belated Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday.

Where to start...hmm... I started at the local state college (transfer from the 2 year college). After the wonderful hardware repair class this summer (I did mention I got an A, right?) I have decided to add a computer science minor to my degree. Had I started sooner, maybe I would've majored in tech and minored in education. However, I'm already knee deep in education (elementary ed/special ed..which sounds like a double major, even though it's actually elementary ed with a special ed concentration...there is no other way to do special ed at the state's best place for ed majors....), and am not sure if I could do a double major. As it is...I'll probably still be there when the other half and I hit the "maybe now we'll get married" age we've agreed on. I knew that adding it would mean I'm there a little longer but so be it. I'm glad to have classes I can take before I try to enter the school of ed. Praxis and their disability non-services are making me jump through hoops to get accommodations, so I already have had to delay that until next fall. Which means I'm limited in what I can take.

Commuting by train with wifi > car. MBTA just introduced mobile ticketing (for the win).

Final grades are A in political science, Schooling in a Democratic Society and Tennis (I was 1 credit short of full and figured it would be a decent way to get exercise). Math for Elementary school teachers was a b-, the best math grade I've ever gotten. Has anyone else who is not a math whiz noticed that their understanding of certain concepts improved after working with technology??
3.557 GPA for the semester...Dean's list starts at 3.25 :cool:

I have finally retired my alphasmart in favor of a laptop. "Baby Octavia" came in just in time for the 2012 ATAP AT convention. The main event for Assistive Tech in my state. Last year I went and was blown away. This year, I was asked to be one of the guest speakers in the "AT User sessions".

It was AWESOME, and I am coming back next year. I also may have a couple of opportunities coming up (fingers crossed). Just before Christmas I made the long-delayed jump from Blackberry to Android. Mom found a universal stand that can hold the new phone (Kyocera Rise), so I'll be able to show her off next year. ;)

On top of that I also finally got my passport and went to Montreal, Canada with my college. It was a blast and here is what I learned....#1 when you are traveling as a sighted guide for a visually impaired friend, the little bit of French that you know comes in handy. The most commonly used phrase is "excuse moi". People like to know when a white cane is coming their way.
#2 People in Montreal are super nice! When it comes to hockey, we may be fans of rivals, but they were nothing short of helpful and polite. At a parade, the group of people we were standing near had my friend go towards the front of the crowd so that he could get the best vantage point possible.

Now I'm trying to convince the other half to come with me next year (or sooner, if his college organizes a trip first). ;)
2012 has been an awesome, crazy year and I can't wait to see what 2013 brings...including my first class as a CS minor (intro to algorithmic thinking) in the spring. Wish me luck...

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online