1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Have Done Now

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Whatzup, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whatzup

Whatzup Thread Starter

I was having trouble playing various games, I checked the help screen on one of the games and it told me to make sure that DirectX was enable. I checked the DirectX file and it was empty. So what did I do, I went to the DirectX web site and downloaded the program. Now when I check to see whether or not the program is enabled, the folders and files are all over the place and they are not just contain in the Program Files, they are everwhere. I tried to do a System Restore, but it won't let me. ANY SUGGESTIONS

2. Dan O

Dan O

You may have a virus. I would get the latest updates for your virus scan software and run a scan.

3. Whatzup

Whatzup Thread Starter

Updated Norton A/V and ran scan, also went to Housecall and ran online scan. No viruses detected. Performed a defrag overnight. DirectX is still scattered all over the place.

4. Rockn

Rockn

What do you mean "scattered all over the place"? Did you by chance install the application to your desktop?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you can run dxdiag this will test and show versions.
    start > run > dxdiag

perhaps you have spyware on PC - have a look at the 1st few posts in the secruity forum - and you will see list of things to run.

6. Whatzup

Whatzup Thread Starter

When I installed the DirectX 9.0 from the DirectX website, I "Open" the download and installed. The download never asked where I wanted it downloaded too. It just started the download process after I checked the Agree to Terms box. From a Help file of one of the games I was trying to play, it told me to make sure DirectX was enabled. It said I should check in the Program Folder, under the setup folder of the DirectX folder. When I went to the setup folder it was empty. I decided to do a search of my computer and this is when I seen DirectX was scattered all over the place.
    I will try the start>run>dxdiag next.
    No spyware on this system! I run Spybot S&D, Pest Patrol, Adaware and Spy Killer, about every four or five days.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice