1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What have I done ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stephencoff, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephencoff

stephencoff Thread Starter

Could someone please assist me, if at all possible ?
    I have very little knowledge and or skill when it come to DOS, BIOS etc
    I had a windows 98 boot disk which a friend made for me on a CD. I had used it once before to wipe my windows and format the hard drive for a fresh install. It's been years and tried to reuse it on the weekend. I have a habbit of stuffing things up and without fail, striked once again !
    I inserted the CD and restarted the computer and typed "KILDISK" and erased the hard drive twice. I then used the "FDISK" to set up the partitions and then proceeded to "FORMAT". So far all seemed well.
    I put the windows disk in the (Windows XP) and tried to install a fresh copy but nothing. It won't load the CD and comes up saying "Missing Operating System" eeeks.
    I was sure this was how i did it some years ago, obviously not because I never had these problems.
    I am hoping it is nothing to serious and contemplated if the CD was damaged and maybe didn't load everything correctly. I actually had the 98 Boot Disk on floppy and went to try that. I then realised my floppy drive wouldn't read it and now question how bad things really are ?

Can anyone realise what i have done wrong from whats described and is there an easy solution ?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

2. guitar

guitar Banned

set it up in bios to boot from cd its probably set to boot from ide

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Just boot with your XP CD, you should see the setup start...

when you get to the point to press a certain key, press Enter to install a fresh copy....have XP format using Quick Format option, it will ask about the partitions...make what you want, first the main where XP will be, and then the Unallocated space, if any, to make a second partition, and you should be all set.

4. stephencoff

Wow,
    Thanks guys for the swift reply.
    Please treat me as a simpleton. I am not confident that I understand how to make sure or set the BIOS to load from CD ? Could you explain a little further for me please ?

As for the Win XP CD, have tried since to load it though it does nothing ?

Stephen

5. coolpcguy

coolpcguy

Switch on your PC. Then hit the [Del] or [F1] button to enter the BIOS. Search for a "Boot" or "Boot Priority" option. Then, make sure the First boot device is set to your cd-rom. Depending on your BIOS, it might display the name of the cdrom or just ide-0, ide-1 n so on. In the latter case, try to set the first boot device as ide-1.

6. stephencoff

Ok, well i did do some like that on Sunday and remeber an option with the boot order.
    It allowed me to select first second and third order. I think off memory it was something like multibay, floppy and hard drive. Does this sound right ?
    My floppy doesn't seem to be working now for some reason ?

I have really stuffed it this time by the sounds of it. i thought it might have been something really simple and stupid though beginning to think otherwise.
    I have been looking for a bootable cd thinking maybe th other copy has scratches etc and not working properly ? Can't seem to find one, can only find the image file for the floppy. I'm not sure where the guy I got the last CD off got the copy from though he has since left my work and have no contacts. Does anyone know where I can get the file to burn on a CD to make another copy ?

If what i am saying is correct and the BIOS has only listed the Multibay, floppy and hard drive. Does this mean it's not seeing the CD Rom ? If this is the case how can i fix it and whats likely to be the problem ?
    Actually now thinking about it, it does read the CD Rom drive and reads it as "a:>". I remeber having the 98 Bootable CD in it yesterday and typing dir and it listing all the file on it.

I don't know, really not sure what I have done wrong.

Stephen

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

A bootable CD has an image of a bootable floppy so it sees it as "A" you need to use the command CD (Type CD at the prompt)

to change TO the other folder on the bootable CD. The files are also able to be seen in Windows Explorer,
    when you put the bootable CD in another computer, first you will see the boot files themselves and
    below that you should be able to spot what else was put onto the CD.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

I'm confused here, which CD are you talkin about, the W98 bootable CD or the XP CD?
    I'm suspecting this is a Laptop?

If so that's normal

If it can still boot from the W98 bootable cd there's nothing wrong with the CD-ROM or the Boot order, something is wrong with the XP CD (or you can try tapping the space bar during boot up with the XP cd in the drive)...

Honestly if it were mine I'd use fdisk and remove the partitions, and use XP create and format them during setup...but that's just me :)...

BTW...It reading it as the A:\> is normal ;)...

9. guitar

guitar Banned

maybe its not a bootable xp cd?

i had a problem like this a while back and i got a copy of the ultimate boot disc and sorted it from that i don't know if that helps but it worked for me

10. stephencoff

Ok,
    Yep correct a laptop, sorry should have made it clear from the start.
    I was refering to the 98 Bootable CD not the Windows XP CD.
    You say use "FDISK" and let the XP CD partiton ? I thought "FDISK" was for partitioning ?
    So if this is the case and I have already partitioned the hard drive, I don't understand what you ment ?

If i start the computer with nothing in any of the drives, it flashes upthe windows 98 screen for a split second and then comes to a DOS screen with a couple of lines of text and c:>
    Does that sound right, I honestly can't remember it was so long ago I did it.
    I will play with it tonight and jot down notes as to what comes up and what it does.

Stephen

11. stephencoff

What is the ultimate boot disk ?
    can i get a copy to try ?

Stephen

12. stephencoff

Ok,
    Looked up the Ultimate Boot CD and found where to download it. I am currently doing so though have one question, do I burn it to a CD as a data disk ?

Stephen

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

No...

Tell ya what, use your W98 cd to boot and remove all partitions, boot with the XP CD, then it should automaticaly go into setup, from the setup you will be given the option on where to install it to, and create partitions/format...

If what I'm suspecting is going on, XP sees an OS already installed hince this...

And you are not seeing the message "press any key to boot from CD" when booting from the XP CD (it's why I suggested booting with the XP CD and start tapping the Space bar)...

If XP ( or W2K, NT for that matter) sees an OS it will throw that message, if there is no OS or the hard drive has no partitions it will boot (should) to the setup...

14. stephencoff

Thank you all for your effort, very greatfull.
    I will remove the partions and and try load the XP CD. Should this not work I will try the Ultimate Boot CD currently down loading.
    If this all fails..... ? I will smash the %#^^&%$# thing.
    Just kidding though feeling a little frustrated, spent half the weekend trying to resolve and work out what i had done and where i went wrong.

Though I am most greatfull for your time.

Stephen

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Have you tried tapping the space bar while booting the laptop with the XP CD ( I know it sounds odd but I've seen it several times)...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice